Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 10:19 AM

Default Re: I wait to raise the turn with 88. Things don\'t go so well from there.

You are welcome to keep calling with AK in my games with various other players doing the betting on a 6-5-2-7 board. Do you think you have six nut outs (even that would be somewhat close given that you are not closing the action)?

lars
Old 07-11-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: I wait to raise the turn with 88. Things don\'t go so well from there.

When I got to your flop call while reading this I thought "Ugh". You gotta raise that flop IMO. PFR will be getting 7-1 on his call, which puts him to a really tough decision if he merely has overs. If the pot was larger I would say wait until the turn, as you cannot protect your hand. But in this case you can, so raise.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:05 AM

Raise the flop and put pressure on the preflop raiser. It protects your hand a bit and makes the rest easier to play. BTW, how many good cards can come on the turn?

P.S. Did the hand take place at the Borg 40-80 or 80-160 game...it seems kind of familiar, but I played a lot of hands this weekend so my memory is kinda fuzzy.

Jeff
Old 07-11-2005, 12:36 PM

The problem with waiting with a raggedy flop is that the turn card is frequently an overcard and that will often cause the flop bettor to check. Another advantage of raising is that anyone with just overcards on the turn will be less likely to take one off on the turn if you raised the flop and then bet the turn, as opposed to if you just called the flop and then bet the turn.

"I call (I am planning on raising a good turn card and also seeing what the PFR's and BB's action is on the flop, and button only calls."

I'd get more of an idea about the strength of their holdings by raising, rather than by just calling.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Re: I wait to raise the turn with 88. Things don\'t go so well from the

[ QUOTE ]
the PFRs turn call with KQ is quite bad

[/ QUOTE ]
How so? Looks to me like he's got 6 pretty decent outs in a biggish pot. Being reverse dominated seems like a silly concern and no one has given you any reason to believe they have more than a pair.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: I wait to raise the turn with 88. Things don\'t go so well from the

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the PFRs turn call with KQ is quite bad

[/ QUOTE ]
How so? Looks to me like he's got 6 pretty decent outs in a biggish pot. Being reverse dominated seems like a silly concern and no one has given you any reason to believe they have more than a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]there is 5way action, there is a bunch of straight (coordinated for 2p) cards on the board, there are three live hands behind him, any of which may be checkraising (especially the BB)...
HU w/pos this call would be real marginal, unless he thought the guy was reeally full of it and was thinking Khigh showdown... in this spot, the call is awful. id give him ~2.5 outs and say hes gonna get CRed by BB half the time.