Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-24-2005, 12:41 AM

Default $11: Overpair with tens facing all in

Seat 1: HitmanHearns ($1,620)
Seat 2: jhoe45 ($930)
Seat 3: lilbigguy73 ($1,460)
Seat 4: Z unit z ($1,490)
Seat 5: FoldAllways ($2,565)
Seat 7: bogeyville ($1,460)
Seat 8: Hero[10S,10C] ($1,865)
Seat 9: crazymama416 ($1,470)
Seat 10: roadracer47 ($2,140)
ANTES/BLINDS
lilbigguy73 posts blind ($15), Z unit z posts blind ($30).

PRE-FLOP
FoldAllways folds, bogeyville folds, Hero calls $30, crazymama416 folds, roadracer47 folds, HitmanHearns folds, jhoe45 bets $100, lilbigguy73 folds, Z unit z folds, Hero calls $70.

FLOP [board cards 4H,3H,7C ]
Hero checks, jhoe45 bets $830 and is all-in, Hero calls $830.

I called because this overbet looks too much like two overs, or something like 88 or 99. Early in the game I play tens for sets and try not to play them too aggressively as it's a hand that is easy to go broke with. If he bets 150 or 200 this is much more difficult for me to play, which leads me to think I was supposed to bet the flop to find out where I'm at...but is it wrong to give him a chance to bluff here?

p.s. If anyone has a link to a converter that works with PokerRoom I can get rid of this bad format. Thanks...
Old 12-24-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: $11: Overpair with tens facing all in

On the flop, I think I bet ~100 and fold to a raise. You have plenty of chips to wait for a better spot.

This looks like a high overpair aggresively protecting against a flush draw (?)
Old 12-24-2005, 01:07 AM

He had AJ. But you're right, there are some draw possibilities for him to protect against. I just couldn't see him moving in on a ~200 pot with AA, KK, or QQ.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop, I think I bet ~100 and fold to a raise. You have plenty of chips to wait for a better spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. That's silly.... you'll see top pair with an ace raise here so often, you'll see tons of crap raised. Play your overpair hard and fast, pick up the pot- there are too many scare cards that can come.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. That's silly.... you'll see top pair with an ace raise here so often, you'll see tons of crap raised. Play your overpair hard and fast, pick up the pot- there are too many scare cards that can come.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's why I still suck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I suppose in this case, top pair is unlikely. How often do you see over cards here vs an overpair higher than 10s?
Old 12-24-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's why I still suck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I suppose in this case, top pair is unlikely. How often do you see over cards here vs an overpair higher than 10s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I missed the preflop raise by villain... but doesn't change too much. This is such an overbet at low-stakes that it's most likely a whiffed AK. A donk with an overpair wouldn't play it this fast... they'd probably reraise a small amount or flat call. The only thing I see pushing this flop from low stakes player is some overcards or F/D.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:47 AM

bluef0x said it perfectly, lead that flop and take it down. don't let another heart or AKQJ fall. make him fold first.

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose in this case, top pair is unlikely. How often do you see over cards here vs an overpair higher than 10s?

[/ QUOTE ]

to your question specifically, TPTK IS likely, far more likely than JJ/QQ/KK/AA, which is why you should be making him pay you off. despite his pf raise, i still play this hard -- you'll see lots of flat calling from KK/AA hoping to pwn you. you will also see unpaired overs a fair amount, and you need to charge them to see more cards. do not let them pick up a over on the turn to beat you for free.