Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-06-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Fiddler on the roof, Ray Zee, and Bob Dylan

Farmer:Why should I break my head about the outside world? Let the outside world break its own head.

Teviar: He's right. As the good book says if you spit in the air it lands on your face.

Student: Nonesense you can't close your minds to what is happening in the world.

Teviar: He is right.

Rabbi: He's right and He's right they cant both be right.

Teviar: You know you are also right.

Its a question of sample space. They are all right just not all at the same time (If time exists).

Sklansky:If you have a negative EV on every bet you can't have a positive EV overall.

Dylan: (Speaking about Christ) You dident believe it you dident even think it could be done. But in the final end he won the war after losing every battle.

Not really a problem they are about different enough subjects as not to create to big a problem.

Ray Zee: I know some players who seem to play a little better after having a couple of drink.

Alan Schoonmaker: Alcohol reduces your ability to play poker well.

This is an interesting situation which I felt deserved further study. Is there some number of beers which will result in a + EV?

I searched the archives and found lots of posts on this matter. The folks who lean towards Theory seem to say mostly any amount of beer will hurt your game. The casual players say they dont know. The emperical data types say beer helps your game. This screams for an experiment. So I studied anxiety a bit more.

It seems that if you put a 2X4 2 inches above the floor most people can walk across it unharmed. If you suspend it above a pool filled with great white sharks they cant. It seems to me there must be a sample space in there where a certain number of beers would increase your chance of survival.

Not wishing to test that theory directly I thought about something I did fairly regularly that caused me anxiety that wouldent do any lasting damage if I did it drunk.

My sister raises chickens and has me kill them every few months. I split wood regulary and am good with an ax. When I kill the chickens my aim is off and I end up cutting half the chickens head or otherwise harm the critter. This just makes raises my anxiety and causes me to do worse.

The last time I went up there I tested my mean and standard deviation on the chopping block. Then I did the same with the chickens. Then I had 4 beers and measured again.

I did best by far with no chickens no beer.
The worst with chickens no beer.
In the middle of the two with chickens and beer.

Like Tever on Fiddler on the roof I think everyone is right.

When you are nervous about a game you will play better after a few beers.

When you are not nervous about a game you will play better without any beers.

The bad news is if you chose to have a few beers everytime you were nervous playing cards then you would never move beyond that point. If 10:20 made you nervous and you had a few beers to squelch the effect you would never get to a point were you were not nervous playing 10:20 as a consequence you would never move to 15:30. Dang I am only half done and dont have time to proof read because of tourneyment.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Fiddler on the roof, Ray Zee, and Bob Dylan

I think what you are trying to say is that it is what they said is that if they drank beer and cut off chicken heads that you would play the tourneyments better. I completely agree with what they said the first time you said it.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:00 PM

My question is how many beers does it take to make a post? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2005, 07:24 PM

Only from the fertile mind of a 2+2'er!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]