Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 04:12 PM

Default LO8 high only hands

I would like to start a discussion on high only hands in LO8. Many good players and books have different opinions. In SS2 Bobby Baldwin says they play well in against big fields and for 1 bet. He also says they don't play well short handed. In the 2+2 book Ray Zee says they do play well short handed. I read an article by Annine Duke where she said they were undervalued by most players and she spoke very favorably about them. I've heard LO8 is her best game and she has a gold braclet in it. I pretty much think in line with SS2. Especially in the big wrap hands with a nut flush draw like AKQJ ds. Something without as much nut potential like KQQJ ds i would rather play against a small field. All view points would be appreciated.

Thanks,
cowboyroy
Old 09-08-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Re: LO8 high only hands

I like to see a flop with them for cheap, especially the big wrap/flush hands because, at least at the limits I play, so many people are calling PF with low draws that you're getting great odds. Plus if you hit the str8 or set with an A or something I'm always amazed how often these people will pay off with their A no kicker or weak 2 pair.
Plus, as Annie said, the flop often hits you hard or not at all so it's easy to get away from postflop.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: LO8 high only hands

Guys,

We just had a thread on this last week.

I made the same arguement that I like to see this flop and discard it when I don't hit it hard.

I believe this arguement is still valid, but I feel position has to be taken into much more consideration than I used to, or other game considerations.

The reason for my change of heart is that Buzz outlined a very convincing arguement using statistical data showing that the A K Q J hand that you speak of wins less than it wins.

I suggest you search through Buzz's recent posts to find that data.

Good luck,

Ironman Dave