Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-22-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Pete \"The Beat\" comes over the top of me..now what?

Stars $150. Blinds 25/50, I'm in the BB with 1800 chips, Pete has just over 3K. EP limp, The beat completes and I get a free play with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The Beat bets the pot (150) and I raise it to 450. EP folds and now he pushes.

I hate when free plays cost me money. I haven't played with him very often, but I have been at a table with him 3 or 4 times in the last month. I have no clue if he's even noticed how i play though but I'll assume he has a good read on me...ie I'm pretty tight, and I do lay down a lot of hands.

Still I can't believe he thinks I'd lay down anything but a bluff here, which makes me think even more that he's real strong.

I used up most of my time bank trying to work this out, and I decided that he more likely had an overpair or a real good 9 than a better hand and I called. Am I overthinking this?
Old 12-22-2005, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Pete \"The Beat\" comes over the top of me..now what?

Unless he has 98 or 2s2h, I think you're ahead. I would assume most aggressive players dont like limping with middle pocket pairs and would raise preflop. I think he's much more likely to have JT, QT, Face9 or an overpair way more often than he has 98, 92, or a set.

Edit: oops didnt see EP limp and thought it was blind vs blind battle. I think that makes overpairs less likely and 99, 88 more likely, but I still think you're ahead of his range.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:48 AM

If he shows you 98 or 92 so be it. I doubt he'd play a set this fast. I'm definitely getting my chips in the middle here.

I think you'll see A9 and JT a fair amount of time here. I dont think you'll see many overpairs though....
Old 12-22-2005, 02:49 AM

I want to say yes, you are...but you play quite a bit higher than I do :-) Anyway, mostly responding to tell you I read through a bit of the series you did a few years ago on starting to play poker for a living and quite enjoyed it.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:37 AM

he plays aggressively and is willing to go out early. He could have 99 88 89 overpair or TJ or 67 but I'm guessing you're ahead and I'd call.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless he has 98 or 2s2h, I think you're ahead. I would assume most aggressive players dont like limping with middle pocket pairs and would raise preflop. I think he's much more likely to have JT, QT, Face9 or an overpair way more often than he has 98, 92, or a set.

Edit: oops didnt see EP limp and thought it was blind vs blind battle. I think that makes overpairs less likely and 99, 88 more likely, but I still think you're ahead of his range.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that you're ahead of his range here. I'm gonna echo everyone else and say you're more likely to see a hand like J10 or A9 rather than a hand that beats you.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:23 AM

pete is crazy loose...I played at his table right at the bubble of the 2004 WSOP. he made a crazy move and sucked out bigtime...guy likes to gamble and is willing to lose it all to gain chips:

blinds were 2k/4k and pete was in the BB with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], all fold around the button who makes it like 4xBB.

pete re-raises....both these guys had well over 150k in chips....unreal...so the button calls and the pot is like 60k or so.

we learn later the button had A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

flop was random and hit neither of them but contained two clubs, so pete checks and the button puts out like 20k...pete comes over the top ALL-IN!

button has him covered and makes the call.......unreal

pete turns over his rags and says 'nice call'....

sure enough, you know the rest of the board...

runner, runner [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and pete makes the nut low flush.....guy goes on to finish in the top 50 or so!

moral of the story...pete can play any two like the nuts!

good luck!
Old 12-22-2005, 05:33 AM

Call.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:50 AM

The Beat is a huge LAG. From what I have seen, he could do this with an OESD to a one-pair hand as bad as J9. I believe you are well ahead of his range and would call.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:02 PM

call.