Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Chip leader overbets flop...

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (10 handed) converter

SB (t14680)
Hero (t5500)
UTG (t11542)
UTG+1 (t5440)
UTG+2 (t21980)
MP1 (t2585)
MP2 (t8740)
MP3 (t4615)
CO (t5360)
Button (t10013)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of t100.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t200, UTG+2 calls t200, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t800) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets t1100</font>, SB folds, Hero folds, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: t1900

My first thoughts:

He really overbet the pot.
He's the massive chips leader and can be a bully.

After everyone folded, I thought it might have been an interesting spot for the check-push.

Who likes the fold, who likes the push here? and why?

-Scott
Old 08-18-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Chip leader overbets flop...

You've got a pretty nice stack at the moment, but I really can't see the far and away chip leader overbetting with a made hand. This looks a lot like a 55 type hand or some kind of draw(9T comes to mind). Another possibility I think he might have, although not as high as the other 2, is a PP like 99(I would think he would raise with this, being the chip leader). I think a shove will take down a pretty nice sized pot for you about 80% of the time, and yes it's too early for me to do math.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:12 PM

Have you seen him play before? It really does seem like he's buying the pot - everyone checked to him, no one's interested, so he thinks to himself that there are definitely no K's out there. This could be 22-55 or a draw, and I think I just might push here, though I'd have to see some of his earlier plays ...
Old 08-18-2005, 03:19 PM

my default would be to fold. i'd fold to a normal bet, and the overbet doesn't make me rush to commit chips.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:00 PM

I have been thinking the same thing lately, so I have c/r big overbets on flops by guys with big stacks with stuff like 2nd pair, etc.

Results have not been good. Getting shown hands very often.

MLG also told me to stop c/r repreenting my opponents' hand, so I have given up on this type of play without a really good read.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Last time it was in a Super and was really ugly.

I check in the BB after 3 limps (included SB), flop comes J84r I have 54o
Big stack MP limper bet 200% of the pot, fold,fold, I check raise all in and get show AJo, and IGHN.

Big stack then types "he must have had somewhere to go"

That hurt. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-18-2005, 06:03 PM

I would also fold without much second guessing. With a T100 BB, it's still fairly early in the tourney (Paradise, so level 5, right before the 1st break, right?). You don't say what the buy-in is, but my thought is he might have a solid hand, and he reasonably hopes a bad player with a marginal hand will call/push. It's amazing what people will call with in the first hour of these online tourneys. Of course, I play low buyin tourneys exclusively. If this was a $150 or something like that, then please ignore [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Bobby
Old 08-18-2005, 11:49 PM

The problem with playing further is that your read is probably correct -- he just wants to take the pot down here without taking any chances, but he could still have you beat with hand like J8, 99, K-weak kicker, etc. Folding is best.