Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-26-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Pot Odds? Changed for this particular game?

Ok, I'm just grasping the whole idea of pot odds and the odds on your outs. E.G -- you work out your 4 to 1 against to make your flush, you want at least 4 to 1 on your money. Ok, seems simple... just that you have to work it out in the heat of battle.

BUT I play at a local game where it's usually about 6 handed. We play that you can put down as much as you like, with the minimum of £50. There is 1 blind to the left of the dealer and this can be anything from £1 to £10, whatever the individual desires. The big bet on any round is £10, and it is capped after 3 raises, just like in a limit game.

Now say there has been tremendous betting before the flop, making a pot of say £100. The flop hits, and you flop a gutshot straightdraw, 4 cards to make my hand, to make the nuts. That puts me at about a 16% chance to hit it, or 11.7-1 against. The bet to me is now £10 with 2 callers ahead of me. That's a pot total of £130... I'm getting 13-1 pot odds, should i call? And also call down the river for any bet providing no flush draw has it or the board paired?

Also, what if there was only one bettor and the 2 callers this time folded. What is the bet was £8?

Any advice... Cheers. I just want to know if i'd end up making too many stupid calls because of pot odds? With this amount of raising pre-flop one would assume it to be a loose-aggressive game.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Pot Odds? Changed for this particular game?

Anyone out there today?

Cheers,

Dickie
Old 12-27-2005, 03:06 PM

I'm not sure I grasped everything in the first two paragraphs, but the question is clear.

Your basic idea is correct. You compared the pot odds with your call included (130 to 10) to the outs versus the total number of unseen cards (47 to 4) which is consistent. It's more common to call the pot odds 12 to 1 (not including your call) in which case you have to compare to 43 to 4 (non-outs versus outs).

You also have to consider other things. Are there people in the pot behind you who might raise? Is it likely you will fill your straight and lose? Do you have a hope of winning without filling? If you do fill your straight, how much extra can you expect to extract from other players.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:29 AM

Thanks, that's really useful. I will take it all into account. So if i have 8 outs on the turn with 46 cards remianing... 8 into 46 goes gives me NEARLY 6 to 1 odds?

What I'm basically saying is... with the big bet being £10. If the pots are at the calibre of £60 on average say, do I have a hope of giving a flush draw bad pot odds on the turn? How is it possible to bet them out?

And if I keep making pot-odds calls in this game, will I wind up losing a lot of money?

Regards,

The Prawn