Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-06-2005, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Preflop: raise aces gets reraised, what now?

I don't understand why it's a bad situation when your aces get action.

I reraise here because you're out of position and there aren't that many chips in the centre yet.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:32 AM

I really only like calling if i can confidently narrow his hand range to AK, QQ, KK. Then get $ in on the flop, as others have said. But I don't trap enough...Does the fact that he just sat down limit or expand his range or neither?

You shouldn't be so worried in this situation, though. You will get villain to make -EV decisions when you reraise, even though some % of the time you will get outflopped or outdrawn. If his range is wider, make him put in more $ with his random pair hands...just the other day, I had a hand like this where I got a quarter of my stack in preflop w AA vs 77.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 betting AA here rocks, allows you to play perfect poker unless you're an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-07-2005, 01:46 PM

Of course a re-raise pretty well defines your hand, but a pre-flop raise is what you're looking for. AA wants to get it all in pre-flop. I make a pot-sized re-raise (which is what villain raised) to $35.

This is not a good spot for villain to smooth call as it invites a push on the flop. Better to fold or push. This is the spot you dream of where villain pushes pre-flop with KK.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:08 PM

i'll be more constructive. when you 3 bet to 35BB (or similar), villain cannot call profitably with any possible holding. If he puts you squarely on AA and plays perfect poker from the flop on, he still loses money. If he folds, you've just won a 17BB pot uncontested. This is not a bad result. If you call and have to play poker against a good player OOP with decent sized stacks behind you, i'm not sure you'll see that kind of EV.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:23 PM

Thanks for comments. In this actual hand I raised to 36 and villain folded. The I began thinking, maybe it's better to hide the information in this case against good player and try to force opponent make an huge misstake postflop, even tho sometimes it might cost myself the pot.
And against bad/decent players I should just rereraise it hard preflop, because their calling/push range is wider so they are likely to make the biggest misstake preflop as opposed to good players who most of the time have the preflop play mastered, but have leaks postflop..
Old 12-07-2005, 03:37 PM

I guess I would look at this as more of a 2/4 plus move, 1/2 there is too many idiots that will call.

Simple question King, what hands would you ever 3bet UTG preflop versus any normal opponnent?

What hands would you 3bet UTG versus this opponnent?

Doesn't the small reraise look like something that is trying to determine if he is up against AA or KK, people are pretty wary of UTG raises?

I would put him on QQ/JJ/AK... maybe KK but I would expect a larger reraise.

Unless you are consistenlty re-raising UTG with a wider range or the opponnent in question has been frequently reraising you, just call.

You said this guy is decent, don't you think he knows what hand you will 3bet UTG with?

Good villans will not push over the top with KK preflop facing a 3bet from UTG. Showing that you can be deceptive with smooth calling reraises with Big hands actually narrow down villans from re-raising you in position versus.

I'll say it agian, you only have 100 BB's stop being so damned scared about being outflopped, it's not likely. A 3bet will get you a small pot and fold from everything but an idiot. With a Deeper stack or a crazy lag, then 3bet.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:29 PM

I like the pre-flop raise against any opponent. Of course if you flop top set you may get a stack. The flop may also catch your opponent and get you de-stacked. With AA you're more likely to win a small pot and lose a big one.

With position and a known opponent you can vary your play greatly. OOP against a relatively unknown its pretty much A-B-C.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call the re-raise.

Lead 3-bet or C/R all in on most flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my thoughts.

I would only reraise here against a really bad player who I know will call my reraise with a large range of hands.