Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: My TruePoker WSOP 120K Hands Challenge - Update # 6

Estimated Hours: 292
Hours Played: 222
Hours to go: 70

Winning/Losings: + 573.00

This must be the reason why people like rakeback so much.
A lot of our money goes to rake and if you're a break even player you make a lot of money with rakeback.
anyway, nice job! I hope you wont be kicked out the first hand during the wsop
Poker stars has 700+ players qualifying for the series. It's a poker stars tournament LOL
Old 06-06-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Both Saturday night and last night were big losers for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to flop more full houses when your opponent is holding AA! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a nice one, and yes I do.

What I really need is to do is focus on playing better poker, and not play when I'm tired, frustrated, or trying to play two year's worth of B & M hands in 40 days online.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...not play when I'm tired, frustrated, or trying to play two year's worth of B & M hands in 40 days online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately (?), that's what you signed up for. FWIW, you seem not to be getting paid off much (except maybe by me [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ) because of how straight-forward you are forced to play.

You probably won't see me at your tables for a while, so I can honestly say: best of luck on the rest of your quest and make some money at the WSOP!
Old 06-06-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you will only be able to play one hand at a time I suggest (although you may already have thought of this) try to be very patient. 30 hands an hour can screw with you just as 400+ can. Wait for the good cards and dont get impatient.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a key point -- I'd additionally add that if you catch yourself spending a lot of time after you fold playing "spot the pros", or looking around for service, etc, you will want to try to re-engage yourself in the game. It's going to be tough to avoid getting bored after downshifting from 8 hpm to .5 hpm, but the time when you're not in a hand is the absolute best time to be studying your opponents.

As practice, you might spend a few hours watching paint dry [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(Seriously though, I'm still in awe and wish you the best of luck!)
Old 06-06-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jane, get me off this crazy thing! (Obscure Family Guy reference)

[/ QUOTE ]

improved your post

That's all man, keep kickin' ass and takin' names.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately (?), that's what you signed up for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Devil, you are exactly right, didn't mean to be a whiner, just trying to justify (rationalize) my puny winnings after so many hands.

Thanks for all the well wishes.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, you seem not to be getting paid off much (except maybe by me [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] ) because of how straight-forward you are forced to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?

I don't get it. Straight Foward is where the money is.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be patient and realize you don't make a move until you have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Wait for the good cards and don't get impatient.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
As practice, you might spend a few hours watching paint dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great advice from all. It does appear to me that the blind structure of the Main Event does award patient, solid play. The levels only change every two hours. If a person did not play a hand for the first two hours, they would have only lost 450 of their 10,000 chips.

Thanks Hammer, Hellmouth, & Tapin.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:58 PM

Hey ODoyle. Keep up the hard work.
Look forward to perhaps meeting you there if you don't lose your vision and can somehow find your way around.

HOH is a GREAT book to get. I'm learning a lot from that book.
Volume 2 is out now so you may want to think about ordering that too.
Also check out the MTT and even the WPT forums.
Sklansky recently posted a tournament tactics question in WPT that got my brain jogging a bit on various ideas.
And some of the MTT threads are good too.

When I qualified for the PPM cruise I had even less live-tourney experience than you.
I had played in 2 live tourneys before that:
July, 2003 - $35 rebuy at Gold Strike, Tunica at 4am. Finished 26th out of 27.
Jan, 2005 - Single table satellite for $1k entry-chip at WPO in Tunica (to prelim event). Finished 5th out of 10.

Between these two tourneys I had less than 2 hours of live-tourney experience.

Before the cruise I played all kinds of different tournaments on Empire and Stars. I was espeically nervous because the PPM is a limit-tourney and I am less familiar with those.

Anyway, just playing tourneys online for 3-4 weeks or so...3 or 4 at a time...really helped my game. I learned to be patient and when to get aggressive and how to work with my short-stack and with my big-stack, etc etc.
It was especially helpful because I was also trying to rack-up the VIP points on Empire.
By week 3 or 4 of non-stop tourneys I was feeling REALLY good about my game and comfortable in all situations.

Obviously you might be too frazzled from your long stretch on True to do something like this...but it REALLY helped for me.

I finished 177th out of 740 on the cruise and won $5.2k. Again, I felt the online-tourneys that I played over and over again REALLY helped my comfortability in the live tourney.

Sherriff Fatman also posted about his first live-tourney experience somewhere in there several months back and what he did and thought going in. I'll try to find the link to that.

Finally - you don't seem to want to give away your location but I noticed your home-town on your TruePoker avatar (you can change it to 'none' if you like by just 'editing' your personal info).

I'm in Memphis now but grew up in Oxford, OH...went to Talawanda H.S. and then Miami (OH) University and then worked at Miami as well.
Have been to your home town on several occasions. Your high-school's soccer team always kicked our ass.

Good luck with your final 20k+ hands.
Have we confirmed that you also get to use all the true-points you are earning for a trip to the Bahamas or back to Vegas?? Or do you have to spend all the true-points for the WSOP trip??
Old 06-06-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Volume 2 is out now so you may want to think about ordering that too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the minor hijack, but is it available in stores yet? I might have to check out the local book stores and pick up Vol 2.