Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 08:27 PM

Default Method for \"studying\" a poker book...

So, I'm on a complete back to basics kick, and am rereading many of the educational materials. First time through I made the mistake of going straight to HPFAP, and WHOA BOY...anyway, after a year of being a profitable player, I've decided to dial in and really start moving up limits, and I think this probably requires some refinements to my game (this forum has certainly helped, my VPIP has dropped almost %10 in the month or so I've been coming here).

Refinement requires study, and study means books. First of all, which would you all recomend going back through first. Like I say, I'm a winning layer though most of my experience is NL/tourney holdem. Done with WLH, I think I'm well past its advice. What next? I've seen various recomendations for TOP, SSHE, ITH, and MLH (all of which I've read or skimmed).

And does anyone else have a method for study? Do you actually sit down and outline the concepts as you are reading (or afterwords)? I want to RETAIN this knowledge so I can better apply it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Method for \"studying\" a poker book...

For reading order, the Clarkmeister rotation makes sense to me.

For study, try Lori's method.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:45 AM

"And does anyone else have a method for study? "

This may sound lame to some, but since internet play is so fast and it's all to easy to play by rote, I find playing Wilson's Texas Holdem Turbo and at critical moments in a hand, taking the time to consult a book about what to do...to be helpful in ingraining a concept into my think little head.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:39 AM

i'm doing something similar. I've got a lot of books. When I started playing, some friends who have played a long time and are winning players recommended I read the books so I went out and bought them. I haven't read all of them through seriously, but I am going through them now in the following order very seriously and highlighting and marking up pages that I find to be of particular value.

1. ITH
2. ToP
3. SSH
4. HFAP

I then plan to read super system 2 when that comes out.

My plan is to spend around 1 hour per night reading. I highlight and mark up the book where I see concepts that I have not applied already. I also mark up explanations for concepts that I don't think I had a good understanding about.

I'm giving SSH a read first because I just got it and I have read the others already... i'm then going to go back and read all 4 in that order and really study them.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My plan is to spend around 1 hour per night reading. I highlight and mark up the book where I see concepts that I have not applied already. I also mark up explanations for concepts that I don't think I had a good understanding about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh, thank you this makes sense. Are you planning on doing something like playing for an hour, reading for an hour and then playing for an hour?
Old 08-19-2004, 02:55 PM

Yeah I play first and then take a break then I usually read right before going to bed. I make comments in the margins and mark particularly insightful comments there.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:14 PM

For low limit online play (like the 2/4 and 3/6 I play) SSH is a must read and if anyone were playing these limits, I'd suggest they read it next if they haven't already.

The method I use to study a poker book is to read it all the way through once to get some of the overall concepts, then go back a section at a time. Read a section trying to really concentrate on what that section is trying to teach and thinking about how to incorporate that into my game. Then play some poker playing my typical game, except trying to focus on the times that particular concept comes up and really trying to implement what I've read. Then go back and read another section and then play, again trying to focus on the particular concept of the section I've just read.

If I'm re-reading a book (and I tend to cycle through my poker books which include HEP, WLLH, TPFAP, HPFAP, TOP and now SSH) I skip initial straight through read and just go to sections that I want to work on, but follow the same pattern.

I find that by focusing on one particular area with reading and then trying to implement while playing I am better able to integrate the concepts into my game and retain the information.

When I say "a section" what I mean really depends on the book. It might be a whole chapter, or it might be just a part of a chapter. The main thing is to take it in small enough bites that you can really focus on and read, play, read, play, read, play.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:39 PM

I really like flashcards. When you write them, you have to do a lot of important key things that really drive home ideas.

You have to select ideas and clearly delineate them in your mind. You need a quick, very sharp take on a subject. That's hard to do with something as complex as poker, that has so many ways each subject relates to another. You really have to refine and focus your understanding of strategic concepts to separate them from each other, and then do a lot more of the same to get your thoughts down to flashcard size. You have to think harder, and think better. You can't skate over the material and give the old teenager's "Yeah, yeah, yeah" that it's extremely easy to do consciously or unconsciously. You have to care, in a way. Caring makes a big difference in memorization, and makes all learning easier.

Dorothy Parker I think said something like, "I write to know what I think." After you get your thoughts organized and delineated and workable, you're still not done. Writing them out shows you where your thoughts comes up shorter than you might have guessed. And it's a tremendous memory booster because it raises your subject to the very height of your attention. It's worth much more than reading often is, which can just be a skim or feel much deeper than it is. Writing is grunt work; you really have to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty.

Reading, thinking, writing, all evolve from each other and take you a step further along the same path. Writing out complex concepts in a form short and clear enough to fit on a flashcard means you really have to have given the subject clear, useful thought. Maybe even have penetrated into it quite well.

The form of flashcards I use is basically that one side quizzes you, giving you a chance to think and fail, and the other side has your answer. The basic set-up.

You can be creative with poker flashcards. You can color code them and work on one set at a time when you feel that certain areas need work, or shuffle them together when you just want a general review. You can ask simple questions, like what are your odds to make a flush on the next card when you have four to a suit on the flop. Or ask questions that require more complex thinking or memorization, like what are some reasons to not raise when you have the best hand(Ed's Miller's Two Overpair Hands comes to mind), and that address subjects rather just require spitting out something quick and simple. And you can get tricky, designing questions that can't be fully answered if you forget to embed exceptions-to-the rule in your answer.

Really, doing this successfully depends a lot upon your taking it seriously and having a desire to do it. You get out of it proportionately what you put into it. By the time you've gotten a nice stack of quality flashcards written up, you'll have done a lot more thinking about material you've read and want to plant firmly in your brain than you would have just by reading alone, and you'll reap rewards in accordance therewith.

And that's before you even actually use the darn flashcards in the first place!

Flashcards are ideal for learning because long-term memory often requires frequent repetition over a period of days. You can't read books easily over and over in short periods of time, or even carry them around everywhere to do it. But you can do that with flashcards. And you can use color-coding or just quickly run your thumb over a pack of flashcards to pick out what you want to study one day and have an especially concentrated emphasis on certain topics available for study in no time at all.

Being able to study for three or four minutes many times throughout the day can burn concepts into your mind much better than sitting down and spending hours on a book at a time, but not doing it nearly so often. That's why material that is crammed for sometimes is very hard to remember on exams and then leaps out of the mind right after a test never to return, but study that accumulates and is leisurely reviewed throughout a school semester can often easily be recalled in tests and stays available long after one has already finished a class.

That's how memory works, so it's best to play to its strengths.

There's my flashcard lecture again. If you hate 'em, you hate 'em. But it's worth reconsidering. I used to hate them because I somehow felt only idiots needed them. I saw a lot of lousy pre-made ones growing up. But when you make them yourself, they can come out really well, and long before you've actually even used them the first time, you've done your memory and understanding a lot of good just by getting to the point where the cards are ready to use. And it just gets better from there.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:02 AM

I'm relatively new to real poker. I read WLLH a couple of times, took a few pages (5) of notes, and that was it.

For SSH I did a lot more work:

1. I read the book all the way through (except practice hands and Q&A) in practically one sitting. I always do this because I'm not patient enough to stop reading and let the material sink in. But if I know I'm going to be spending a lot more time on the book anyway I don't sweat it.

2. I completely re-read the book, this time including the practice hands. A lot things click on your second read, since you see how later topics motivate the author's advise on earlier topics.

3. I started all over again from the beginning, taking notes on each section at a time. This took about a week and resulted in 40-50 pages of handwritten notes. This step is invaluable for me. Once I start writing things down and organizing both the author's thoughts and my own, it is much easier to hard-wire these concepts. Doing a couple of sections or so each evening, this step took a little over a week. (I didn't bother taking notes on Miller's preliminary material -- which I already completely understood -- or the practice hands).

4. I haven't looked at SSH for a couple of weeks now. When I get some free time at work, I'll be typing up my notes in Word both for additional reinforcement and so I'll be able to review the book quickly in the future.

The earlier poster who said that writing out notes was essential because it forces you to get your hands dirty was dead on. This is even more helpful for books that aren't as well-written as SSH because it forces you to cull together a sense of organization that the authors lack. For instance, I took notes on the starting hand requirements from HEPAP, which was a lot of work because, frankly, that book is very poorly written (no offense intended to the authors, who admit as much). The process of writting out a set of notes DRAMATICALLY increased my understanding. I strongly recommend this as a study tool.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:02 AM

If you are learning the starting hand requirements (grouping and what to do in each position according to HPFAP), I suggest something other than flashcards. Playing online, I found it too time consuming to flip through a book to figure out how I should play a particular hand preflop. Instead, I made a color coded chart with all of the starting hands and what you should do in each position if you are the first one in, if there are callers, and if there's a raise. I printed this chart and taped it to the wall above my desk. Then as I played, I was able to refer back to the chart to figure out what I should do. I was amazed by three things:
1) I called raised pots way too frequently
2) I didn't raise in late position as often as I should
3) I learned the hands rankings in about a week

The chart is still on my wall and I occasionally refer back to it when I feel I'm playing too loose.