Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 11:13 PM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.
Default Re: Albums you can listen to entirely, w/out having to skip any tracks

[ QUOTE ]
Not nearly discriminating enough. Lots of bad tunes on those albums.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]
Elaborate please.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:20 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps my point was missed (though I doubt it)...

On the whole, people who like obscure music are far more likely to say things like (or have an attitude implying) "If you cant appreciate (Band X) you shouldnt be listening to music"

That is the answer to the question you posed

[/ QUOTE ]
no, i got your point. i just thought it was dumb.

first of all, the ramones are far from obscure.

second of all "people who like obscure music" is a stupid generalization. what does that even mean ? what if i like all music ? more importantly, why would you want music advice from someone who only listens to what you already know ?

my first post is simply saying "obscure" isn't a genre, and means little on whether or not something is "good." there is a lot of crappy "obscure" bands, but there is just as many crappy "mainstream" bands. just because something is played on the radio doesn't make it good, and just because it isn't doesn't make it bad. that's all.

also, i don't really care what people listen to. and something doesn't have to be "obscure" for me to like it. obviously i don't expect my mom to think the ramones are awesome, and have no problem with her listening to country if that's what she likes. same with you. but what fun is talking about music if you are going to be indifferent to everything ? "the ramones are great. some might like them. some might not." yeah that discussion is going to be interesting.

my point with that second comment you quoted is that the ramones are a great band, and i was pretty shocked when someone said they were "treading on dangerous territory" (and yet can respect the poster who said this more than you) compared to everything else in this thread. of course i'm going to show off some 'tude to defend the ramones. c'mon. i was simply amusing myself because i'm so funny and cool.

except when i have to explain myself i get boring and lame. thanks a lot!
Old 05-20-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tool - Lateralus

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, I wanted to say the same, but to be fair, the interlude tracks between The Patient and Schizm always get skipped. And I don't really need to listen to the Area 51 stuff.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:31 PM

Though I agree with most of your points/taste, I do see his on the idea that music can be classified as obscure.

Obscure music is one of those terms that is tough to explicitly define, but, you can generally spot it when you see it.

It could be where you hear it, ie:

MTV -> Radio -> Rolling Stone -> Spin -> Pitchfork is somehwat of a continuum of obscurity.

Or simply the % of the music listening population that knows band X exists.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:34 PM

People who like obscure music also tend to prattle on endlessly in futile efforts to convince others that they are correct.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People who like obscure music also tend to prattle on endlessly in futile efforts to convince others that they are correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
you win. *eye roll*

what are your suggestions ?
Old 05-20-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what are your suggestions ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything by the ramones/white stripes
Old 05-21-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Though I agree with most of your points/taste, I do see his on the idea that music can be classified as obscure.

Obscure music is one of those terms that is tough to explicitly define, but, you can generally spot it when you see it.

It could be where you hear it, ie:

MTV -> Radio -> Rolling Stone -> Spin -> Pitchfork is somehwat of a continuum of obscurity.

Or simply the % of the music listening population that knows band X exists.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, i can understand that music can be classified as obscure, or not, and there are many levels of obscurity depending on what music you know (like your example), and it still doesn't help me figure out what you'd like.

there are other people on this forum that are considered people who like "obscure" music. apparently i would be one of them. yet i doubt i have many similiar tastes in music as them. i might have more bands in common comparing to someone who only listens to mainstream music, it all depends on the person.

but yes, you can spot it when you see it -- mostly because it isn't something you hear on the radio 50 times a day [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] that's not a hard one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] doesn't mean it won't be on the radio in 2 years, though. and surely doesn't mean the person who is looking for something new to listen to won't love it.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:27 AM

seriously, i'm starting to find myself annoying now, i think i am done with this thread. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2005, 02:44 AM

No time to scroll through all the posts, but I'm listening to one now. Fugazi - Steady diet of nothing.