Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Going to play my first NL tourney tomorrow

I won pretty big in AC the other day, and have the extra money to spend in a buy in tourney. I'm going to go back down to AC tomorrow to play in a tournament, because my experience in a 2/4 and bankroll aren't ready for that kind of game right now. In terms of how soft the games are I posted in the B&M forums, but got no replies. Right now it's between the Taj and Ballys because they have pretty low buy ins, 50+15 at taj and 60+15 at ballys. What should I expect going into this thing? This will be my first time playing live ever. I read the forums on etiquette and stuff, but still I've got the jitters.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Going to play my first NL tourney tomorrow

Expect to be worn out and brain dead once you are finished. I know every live MTT I have ever been in leaves me dazed. Take some power bars and so forth with you.

BTW - I remember my 1st live game - you'll be fine after a few hands.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:28 AM

I'm not "Mr. Poker Tourney" or anything but I do play quite a few live tourneys down here at my local dog track and the one piece of advice I can give you is to get plenty of rest the night before. Sometimes I won't even play the day before just so I'm good and fresh going in. This is a MUST and definately to your advantage because depending on your blind structure and # of starting chips a 300 man tourney can sometimes take 4-6 hours, more if you make the final table.

Anyway, make sure to let us know how you did.... I'm rooting for you. Give em hell
Old 08-03-2005, 06:21 AM

i've played in a few MTT tourneys (only 1 final table, but no payout [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]) and Rest is so important. Its like, so vital. Also, It helps me when i listen to music when i play, because it gives me something to distract myself with in between hands. Keep in mind that NL tourneys are a lot about feel, so don't worry too much about pot odds, and play the player/table.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:10 AM

Drink some cough syrup with a shot of rum or burbon. This will loosen you up and get rid of any pre game jitters. Also, bluff at the first pot to get it out of your system. Seriously, this is what I do in almost every liver tourney I play. I'm a very nervous person.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the advice and the motivation, I slept on it all night and since I'm a little sick still I think I might hold off until next week. I need to be 100% to rock it out. If anyones down there next week sometime lemme know.