Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 01:15 AM

Default WA/WB? Raise?

So, the hand before I had had KK cracked by an Arag. The villian in this hand is very loose, pretty passive pf, somewhat to quite aggressive postflop. Who likes the line? Who doesn't and why? Thanks, as always, in advance.

-Jaran

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 06-21-2005, 01:20 AM

Default Re: WA/WB? Raise?

Im raising this flop for sure. If im 3 bet then i would cap and call down if he bets out on the turn.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:22 AM

I think you have to raise the river, then grudgingly call a reraise.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:26 AM

Why?

-Jaran
Old 06-21-2005, 01:27 AM

I think I'd play back at him on the flop. He may be betting AJos, hence, not raising UTG. But like you say, he's passive pre. I'd raise him on the flop and see if he calls.

If he does call, I'd still like to see a showdown for cheap, just to know what he was playing without a raise UTG. I'd hope he would try a CR on the turn, after your raise, and then I'd just check behind and call a river bet.

The flop may have completely missed him, say 9-9, and is just betting scare cards with so few folks in and figuring you raised with Axs.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:31 AM

Well, maybe not call a reraise, have to use your judgement. A guy "somewhat to quite" aggressive will be betting alot of hands, and theres alot more combinations with jacks or other pairs than trip kings. No straight draws, no flushes at the end, thats a dream against an agro player, you're more likely to be ahead than behind.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:31 AM

I love hands with reads, soo much more interesting .. only mentioning this since all 15or so hand posts I've opened today, are copy/paste jobs

I think there are 3options

1. the way you did
2. raise the turn
3. raise the river

I think the best line has a lot to do with how broad of range he's betting here, whether he'll continue to bet a J, TT, straightdraw on the big streets, and how he reacts to being played back at

since he's very loose he prob plays most suited hands, Arag(s, and un), prob a fair bit of the Krags, most/all 2broadway hands .. and prob a number of offsuit connectors
since he's pretty passive preflop i don't think he's raising TT-down, maybe JJ and QQ(though its more likely he does raise those)

when he leads the flop since he's fairly aggro its prob something like

any pair(pocket or Jx)
QT
prob a fair # of various gutshots
Kx(though i think most fairly aggro opponents are c/ring a K at somepoint)

there isn't any FD out there, so i doubt he's betting that, though maybe Axs, or BDFD+gutshot type hand

when he leads the turn

its prob close to the same range, prob not betting the weaker gutshots as often, pretty sure he's betting a FD here if he did improve to it

since a fair # of hands he's betting aren't calling a river raise, but might still call a turn raise .. I think a turn raise is the play here

i think you are WA far more often than WB
Old 06-21-2005, 01:32 AM

Why didn't you raise the flop? It'd be a little easier to play if that had happened. Cracked kings suck, but I hope that didn't change your play on this hand.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't you raise the flop? It'd be a little easier to play if that had happened. Cracked kings suck, but I hope that didn't change your play on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the way Jaran played it is better than raising the flop
Old 06-21-2005, 01:38 AM

Nope, the cracked KK didn't affect my play at all. I have reached a comfort level with my play that losing a hand doesn't affect the way I play the next one. I'll post my thoughts and results on this later. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Jaran