Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Did I play this at all reasonably?

Don't have the HH at hand, so I'm doing this from memory. I'm fairly new to MTTs, for what it's worth, so attribute any glaring errors to that. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

$15+1 Party MTT last night, late stages (about 45/1400 players left). Tables just got reshuffled a few hands ago, so hardly any action to base reads on.

Blinds 1000/2000

Hero (26000) in BB
UTG+1 (21000)
(Don't remember other stacks -- no one <3 BB at the table)

Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG+1 minraises (to 4000), folded around to Hero, who calls.

Pot: T9000

Flop comes: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero pushes, UTG+1 calls with JJ.

I read the minraise as two high cards (maybe AJ/AQ/KQ), and figured that I didn't want to chance having to lay down if a non-A overcard hit the board. I guess my main question is: is this a reasonable interpretation (and if it is, is my action OK based on that interpretation, or was there a better line) of the PF minraise?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Did I play this at all reasonably?

Quite frequently a mini-raise is a pretty big pair. At least often enough that I'm not falling in love with TPTK holding A9. I think your call pre-flop was reasonable given the odds and a decent hodling. I would have led out for about 5,000 and play from there. If he called or raised I'd fold pretty easily.

And even if you knew he had AK you shouldn't be pushing here. He has 5 outs (since you have an A) which makes him about an 8 to 1 dog to hit an A or K (or Q or J) on the turn. If you bet about half the pot he would be getting 3 to 1 odds so calling by him would be incorrect. In fact, you could bet even less and it would be an incorrect call although I wouldn't bet too less because that could be interpreted as weakness and you might face a raise from a hand you're way ahead of, which would be tough to call.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:23 AM

You played this pretty unreasonably, throw out a probe bet of like 1/3-1/2 the pot and see what happens. If he pushes you can fold.

Anyways you asked for that by way overbetting the pot into somebody you had no information about.

Also don't post the results of your hand just leave it at "hero pushes" so people can't use the information about the villains hand when they post. It is always obvious what to do when you know your opponents cards.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also don't post the results of your hand just leave it at "hero pushes" so people can't use the information about the villains hand when they post. It is always obvious what to do when you know your opponents cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duly noted.

Thanks for the advice. Thought after the fact that the push was silly, but I wasn't sure that that wasn't just the results coloring my perception.