Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 12:10 PM

Default 97s Postflop decisions

Good live 20-40, couple of donators, no hyperaggressive loonies. I'm in the SB this hand. There are one EP and two MP limpers, the button (mediocre player, getting short-stacked) raises. I look down to see 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I glance left, and notice that the BB (weak-tight fish) is loading up chips in her hand to call. Figuring I'm getting better than 6-1 on a call, I toss in 6 chips. BB now 3-bets. Crap. Should've looked more carefully at how many chips she had in her hand. EP limper folds, but the MP limpers and button both call, and I now auto-call. 5 players, 16 sb. Nice pot developing.

Flop is T J T with two diamonds. Gutshot str8 flush draw. Nice. Don't like the pair on board, but I'm pretty sure BB has AA, KK, QQ, AK, or maybe AQs. I'm certain she'll follow her preflop 3-bet with a bet here. I check, hoping to trap some limpers then raise my 12-out draw. She bets. 1st MP limper immediately raises. 2nd MP limper folds, Button 3-bets all-in. Back to me.

Okay, MP limper is semi-LAGgy postflop. Doesn't feel like a T, though, since I think he'd not want to shut anyone out and wait until the turn to raise. (He's the type to automatically slow-play trips.) Raising a draw with 3 people to act behind him? Maybe. I've seen him do it before. Kind of dumb, but I've seen him do it. Jack? Seems most likely, trying to protect his hand. Button could have just about anything, though overcards/gutshot/pair seem most likely. I could just call, and invite BB to come along, but I think that maybe I can represent a T and get her to lay down an overpair. Since I'm working on a sidepot here, I might be able to give myself some extra outs if MP is actually on a draw.

I cap. BB looks at me funny, but then throws her hand away. (AK seems most likely, but I might have gotten her to throw away an overpair.) MP calls, and we're heads-up with the Button all in. Main pot is 26 sb = 13 bb, side pot is currently 2 sb = 1 bb.

Turn is a black 7. Okay, that helped. I've actually picked up some outs, and I can now beat a better flush draw or str8 draw (unless he has 89, in which case I'm about to find out....). I bet, not wanting to give a free card to him if he's drawing, and since I'm already representing a T, I might get him to lay down a J (doubtful, but stranger things have happened). If he does, in fact, have a T or 89, I'll hear about it now. He calls. So, no T, no str8. I'm either facing a scared Jack or he's drawing. My plan for the river is to check-call if I miss (pot's too big to fold, and my pair might pick off a bluff if he was in fact drawing), or bet out if I hit a 7, 8 or diamond.

River is the beautiful 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I'd rather have the 8, but what are you gonna do? I bet out. MP calls. I announce "small flush." He turns over 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and MHIG. Had him drawing dead on the turn. Button mucks, and I win the main pot as well.

It turned out well, but I'm interested in comments on all postflop streets. I like to play draws aggressively, but I'm not sure whether I should have capped the flop or tried to get the BB to come along. I think the turn was straightforward, but I'm always open to suggestions (Especially for the correct play if I hadn't hit the 7). Thoughts?
Old 09-23-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: 97s Postflop decisions

Waoo that flop cap is really bad. Why would you want to get an overpair to fold in pot with 2 others, one of whom has just gotten allin??