Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Gabe is my Wingman

Here's a fun one from last night. Good 15-30 game, Gabe is standing behind me and we're discussing the anatomy of the elbow (don't ask). In my SB, I flash Gabe 55. UTG and CO limp, so I complete for one more chip. BB checks, and 4 of us see the flop.

J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. With the pair on board, I suspect I have the best hand. (Though I'm always wary of middle cards with limpers.) I bet out. BB and UTG fold, but CO calls. CO is a fish, too loose and only semi-aggressive. I tentatively figure him for an underpair, overcards, or some sort of str8 draw (that really helps narrow it down....) [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But I'm pretty sure he'd raise with a J or 9 since we're heads-up.

Turn is T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Not the card I was looking for. Still, though, I'm representing a Jack, so I fire again. CO calls again. Okay, I can't narrow him down much, except to be certain he doesn't have a 9, Jack, or KQ.

River is J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Lovely. I'm playing the board. Screw it, I fire again. CO thinks, thinks, and finally says "No, I'm not calling" and mucks, inadvertantly flashing a 7 or 8 as he does so.

I turn to Gabe, and say "You brought me luck." Gabe answers, loud enough for the other side of the table to hear, "Yeah, but I was pretty sure you needed that Jack to fill up on the river." [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good to know he had my back. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2005, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Gabe is my Wingman

"J 9 9 . With the pair on board, I suspect I have the best hand."

i think that's a pretty big mistake there and most of the time the bet here will just lead to further spewing. seriously i hate the way you played this hand on the flop and turn. mega spewage.

and gabe is a black cat of epic proportions so dont be fooled. he's the angel of death when it comes to sweating man.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:07 PM

You are right when you say this flop hits the limpers. Another problem with this hand is that even if ahead, say you are called by str8 or gutters, they have overcard outs against you making them a coin flip assuming they call you down if they pair up.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure he'd raise with a J or 9 since we're heads-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lack of a flop raise wouldn't normally make me discount these hands. Most players would slowplay a nine, many would be scared of a nine with a Jack.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"J 9 9 . With the pair on board, I suspect I have the best hand."

i think that's a pretty big mistake there and most of the time the bet here will just lead to further spewing. seriously i hate the way you played this hand on the flop and turn. mega spewage.

and gabe is a black cat of epic proportions so dont be fooled. he's the angel of death when it comes to sweating man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I would have check folded the flop, especially if I was sweating me.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:52 PM

Oh, I'm not saying I played the hand optimally. I was quite ready to give up after my flop bet if I got any resistance from the BB or (especially) UTG; but I'd seen the CO player calling along with all sorts of garbage. (Though, yes, I think in general against 3 opponents betting out is questionable, at best.)

Once I was heads up with the fish, though, and he wasn't showing any strength, I felt I needed to follow through with the hand I was representing.

This post, however, was more to illustrate one of the primary rules of sweating a fellow 2+2er: Your Sweatee always has the hand that they're representing. I just appreciated the way Gabe's comments played right along with my pathetic play-the-board bluff.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:28 PM

wouldn't you rather the fish think you bluffed him?

Unless, of course, you are worried about him getting mad and leaving.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:00 AM

The only good wingman is a dead wingman.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:03 AM

"wouldn't you rather the fish think you bluffed him?"

I wouldn't. The tastiest fish call the flop, call the turn, and fold the river.