Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 05:34 AM

Default A hand with 60% equity on the flop

This exact hand did not occur, but the hypothetical opponent is based upon a player I encountered since I want to figure out what I should do if I encounter a similar opponent in the future.

In a short handed game, I had been opening a lot of hands. In this hand, I open with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] from the CO.

The player on the button is aggressive and three-bets me. Since he thinks I am raising with too many hands, his three-betting range is any pocket pair 3's or higher, AK-AT, and KQ, with the unpaired hands suited or unsuited. Since I had been show to aggressively play draws and semibluffs, he will cap the flop no matter what comes, trying to represent the nuts. He might slow down on later streets, but he believes that I will call him down with ace high and possibly king high, so he might bet a small pocket pair to the end, but he will probably check and call on the river if he has a weak hand and there is a lot of action.

The flop comes J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

According to PokerStove:
Board: Jc Th 2d
Dead:
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 40.0562 % 37.30% 02.76% { 33+, ATs+, KQs, ATo+, KQo }
Hand 2: 59.9438 % 57.19% 02.76% { AsTs }
</pre><hr />
How would you play it? I see several options.

-I can check and call down unless I improve, in which case I might go for a check-raise.

-I can bet out and cooperate with capping the flop.

-I can go for the check-raise on the flop so that I am the last one to put in a raise on the flop. Then I can bet out on the turn and he might slow down unless he has me crushed. Then again, he might not, and he would definitely raise if he has a straight or flush draw.

-I can bet and call a raise then re-evaluate on the turn.

-I can either check or bet then fold when my opponent bets or raises, after which I can book my flight on Orbitz to attend the national convention of the Wuss Association of America.

What would you do? Would you have considered capping pre-flop?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:05 AM

Default Re: A hand with 60% equity on the flop

I'd c/r the flop and if 3-bet, check/call turn and river UI. Otherwise I continue to bet out.

If a K or Q show up, I'm considering not showing down, I think.

Or donking river and folding to a raise. I don't know. It depends on the player's aggressiveness.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:51 PM

I'm describing a player who will automatically raise the flop until capped no matter what he holds, so his betting on the flop won't tell you whether he has you beat.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm describing a player who will automatically raise the flop until capped no matter what he holds, so his betting on the flop won't tell you whether he has you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm, then maybe I'd check-raise the flop, call a 3-bet then donk the turn. If raised, call down.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:47 PM

I don't like capping preflop. I do like check calling this flop and reevaluating on the turn.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:25 AM

If he will cap the flop no matter what then you MUST cooperate. Like pokerstove says you have 60% equity. If you knew that he would put 1000 bets in no matter what then you should do so from a purely EV standpoint (no bankroll restrictions). If you know that he will raise the turn with any pair or any draw then I think you have to see to it that at least 3-bets go in on the turn also. This guy is a MANIAC postflop and against an opponent like that your hand is a monster.

Cartman