Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 05:50 AM

Default Re: AKs 5-10 6max -- Is This ALWAYS Wrong?

I definitely raise the turn and call down a 3bet.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gotta raise flop or turn. You are ONLY behind one reasonable hand (KJ) and there are so many other he could have, with 2-15 outs to beat you. Have to charge the draws, worrying about losing a pure bluff is not enough IMO, especially since the pot is not that small.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are forgetting about 55 and JJ, so three reasonable hands. Four, if he is the type who would not cap preflop with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Actually, the betting makes me think UTG has either a set, a flush draw, a straight draw, or AJ. I generally raise the flop here, since there are worse hands that I would raise the flop with. I would be more inclined to raise the flop against a player who would play KJ or a set fast on the flop. I would be more inclined to wait until the turn against a player who bluffs way too much and has a questionable opening range or one who normally slow-plays if he can beat TPTK.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:40 AM

actually the Queen is a [censored] river card. I raise the turn, call a 3bet, go from there.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are forgetting about 55 and JJ, so three reasonable hands. Four, if he is the type who would not cap preflop with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure those hands are possibilities but most would cap preflop with JJ or AKs, and far from everybody raises 55 UTG. But ok you are right, have to consider those against some players.

Edit: Interesting post by the way.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sure those hands are possibilities but most would cap preflop with JJ or AKs, and far from everybody raises 55 UTG. But ok you are right, have to consider those against some players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what sort of opponents you normally play against, but probably a third of the players I see wouldn't cap with AKs. Some think they are slow-playing and trapping or want to encourage someone to call behind them, while others are afraid of being against a big pair. I have run across a few players whose three-betting range seemed to be AA/KK and an occasional suited or connecting hand when trying to make a move on someone (which, for some reason, they like to do out of the small blind). There are also some who won't cap with AA or KK because they think they are being deceptive, so against certain opponents, those are possible hands.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:11 PM

Possible hands maybe.. but not what we should be fearing. If they call the 3-bet with just about all the hands they open with, we're still ahead on this board the vast majority of the time. I probably raise the flop and raise the turn again if he stop and goes.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:45 PM

Waiting for the river is fine with opponents that can read hands and aren't overly aggressive, it'll keep sets and two pairs from 3betting you a lot of the time where on the turn they would have 3bet you. And a pair will almost always pay off. So it gains a bet when ahead but doesn't get you threebet and led into on the river when you're behind.

But I don't think this hand is the absolute best example for this play.