Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 05-18-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Did i play this too weakly?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.5/$1), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.25 (hand converter)

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

River

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks

Or is this standard
Old 05-18-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Did i play this too weakly?

FWIW, I'd play it the same.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I'd play it the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not bet out on 4th? Assuming seats 2 and 4 are going low, OP's got the best low showing and a good drawing hand anyway--lots of hearts and low cards still in the deck. I say give the other guys a chance to fold here.
If checked to me, I regularly bet with 4 to a low on 4th with no one else showing 2 to a low. Bad idea?

From my perspective, if I have 3 average low cards and I brick 4th [say (73)4Q] and a good looking low [(xx)42] bets in front of me, the large majority of the time I'm folding. Is that too tight?
Old 05-18-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not bet out on 4th? Assuming seats 2 and 4 are going low, OP's got the best low showing and a good drawing hand anyway--lots of hearts and low cards still in the deck. I say give the other guys a chance to fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]
You make a good point. I got scope locked on the low draw and didn’t notice the other draws. With a 3-card low, flush and straight it seems like a bet now.

[ QUOTE ]
From my perspective, if I have 3 average low cards and I brick 4th [say (73)4Q] and a good looking low [(xx)42] bets in front of me, the large majority of the time I'm folding. Is that too tight?

[/ QUOTE ]
That’s what I do.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:44 PM

lemon,

betting on fourth is almost mandatory. you caught the worst looking card in the deck for your opponents, while they all caught blanks. if i had two black aces in the hole with something like an 8/7 up, i'd even consider folding.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

alchemist,
that's pretty standard. from my experience, two gapped babies need major improvement on fourth to continue, i.e. gutshot draw or a pair with 3 flush. if you had a a (63)4, and caught a third suited queen, i think taking one off is okay as long as hearts and 5's were mostly live.

respectfully,
temp
Old 05-18-2005, 06:55 PM

this hand is unsual in that people actually folded. I considered betting as a semi-bluff, but felt that the likely hood of being called was so high that it would pretty much just be a value bet. Thus presuming a very loose table, would you still bet here?
Old 05-18-2005, 07:05 PM

lemon,

yes, i would still bet at a loose table. any heart or wheel card and 6 gives you a monster board. 7's and 8's dont hurt either. even loose players must tighten up somewhat at a board of three straight/flush babies, right?

respectfully,
temp
Old 05-18-2005, 08:54 PM

Are you insane? WTF are you doing? Where do you play? Can I get in the game, PLEASE.

-Dimitri
Old 05-18-2005, 09:18 PM

Bet fourth and call fifth.