Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2004, 08:50 AM

Default What does it mean to be a \"pro?\"

I've heard many different opinions about what parameters must be met for a poker player to be regarded as a "professional." I was curious as to what 2+2ers feel makes someone a professional.

The way I see it, any person who gains the large majority of his or her income from poker and lives above the poverty line is a professional.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:20 AM

Default Re: What does it mean to be a \"pro?\"

it usually means answering lots of stupid questions about playing in the televised tournaments. but it also entails lots of people telling you how they once hit big on a scratch ticket or with keno.

but i use your definition with the stipulation that the pro pays rent or mortgage. basically that pros don't live in their parents' basements or on their friends' couches
Old 10-21-2004, 12:50 PM

Some people say you're a pro if poker is your sole source of income.

Other say you're a pro if poker is your primary source of income.

Still others say you're a pro if you play a winning game, and put in a lot of hours.

I say you're a pro if you play well enough all the time that if you put in a reasonable number of hours you COULD support yourself playing poker if it were your only source of income. So, the rich guy who comes to town 5 times a year, and beats the 50-100 game for an average of $40 per hour is a pro in my book. Of course, what that really means is he could be a pro if he wanted. And, if I'm playing against him, that's all that really matters to me, i.e., how well does he play. I don't care how much money he makes elsewhere, the question for me is how much money is he taking off the table in MY game.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 10-21-2004, 03:02 PM

greg,

u buying into the foxwoods main event, or do you still put in time to get in for discounts via sattelite?
Old 10-22-2004, 11:39 AM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC

granted the rich guy may have a good game, but actually making a living off of poker is a different cup of tea than the casual player who can hang with "pro's"
Old 10-22-2004, 12:17 PM

The rich guy with the good game is probably actually a tougher opponent depending on what you call a good game. A lot of pros pass on positive EV situations in an effort to reduce variance in their results. If they took more positive EV situations without fear of variance, your results should naturally suffer.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:19 AM

Well, I guess it really doesn't matter what you call him. If the toughest guy in the game is a non-pro who makes $5M a year from his "real" job, he's still the guy I don't want in the game. Even if he's just an amateur who's "hanging" with us pros.

later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 10-25-2004, 02:14 PM

Greg, you shouldn't speak so highly of yourself.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:50 PM

Amen. I couldn't be a pro. But I play bad. But if I didn't, I still couldn't be a pro.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:48 PM

well a pro is someone who makes their living playing poker. ive been a pro for many years but for some of those years i was just an advantage player because i was doing something else to make a living. like right now i dont play poker full time because im making more money working with my brother. some/many of the best players arent pros, theyre too smart to play poker all day.