Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 12:08 AM

Default 3 bad beats or play?

$10+1 $800

1.A 10/20 hand

One calling station limps.
Villain $750 CO min raises. Hero put him as a semi loose weak player.
Hero AKo button raises 3bb. Calling station and villain calls.

Flop A96
Calling station checks. Villain bets $100. Hero put villain on ace with weak kicker, not likely two pair. Hero raises $400 quickly. Calling station folds. Villain pushes. Hero calls.

Villain A3 hits his 3 on turn.

Hero was busted EARLY. Did hero raised too much?

2. A 75/150 hand

6 players. Chip leader $3400 BB calling every hand. Hero second place $1200.

Hero UTG+1 88 min raises. Button $690 pushes. Hero pushes quickly to get chip leader out. Chip leader folds.

Button AJ caught her J on turn. Hero crippled.

During that 1-second thinking time, gap concept and survival never flash through hero’s mind, hero just concentrates on isolating the short stake. Bad move?

3. A 100/200 hand

HU. Hero $2596 and villain $5404 swapping chips for a long time. Hero reads his own HU skill is PROBABLY better.

Villain button limps. Hero AT raises $600. Button raises $1050, been doing that a lot. Hero puts villain on a lower hand. Hero calls.

Flop 635 rainbow. Hero KNOWS hero has the best hand. Hero pushes with a read of 70% button will fold. Button calls.

Button KJ caught his J on river.

Now looking back, probably hero shouldn’t have pushed. Though the play is probably correct, but instead of coin flip, hero should have danced a bit more utilizing his better HU skill?
Old 10-24-2005, 12:16 AM

Default Re: 3 bad beats or play?

Hand 1 fine. Hand 2, don't min raise. You should almost never min raise unless you specifically want action. If the blinds are that high, just push. Hand 3 I think is fine. But there is no way you could possibly KNOW that you have the best hand here.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:19 AM

#1 - don't minraise the minraiser. call, or pop it 3x OVER his minraise (personally at this level, i'd just call w/position). PF, no prob...bad beat

#2 - confused. BB acted after Button...before you had a chance to "isolate" (unless you're saying he called the 600+, but not the additional 600?). anyway, you are pushing or folding at this point. 88 is about there IMO, especially w/ your read on BB. open push PF. considering you got your chips in the middle PF, no worries - bad beat (well, not that bad).

#3 - meh...you could have just pushed after his limp. after his reraise, i'm putting the rest of the chips in PF. leaving 5'ish BB's for post flop play is silly.

Old 10-24-2005, 12:37 AM

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. William Wallace II blue face paint bloodthirsty amok.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:38 AM

Hand 1 is fine.

Hand 2 - Push PF

Hand 3 - its HU, so post-flop poooooooosh
Old 10-24-2005, 12:39 AM

1. If I understand correctly you mini-reraised. That's just not a good idea. A better rule is 3xbb+2xlimpers or raisers total Don't give them the odds to draw out on you. The rest is just a bad beat.

2. You don't have enough of a stack to be making any fancy plays. If you are going to play it, push it.

3. Why wouldn't you just push when he reraised you?
Old 10-24-2005, 01:12 AM

Posting without reading other replies...

I'm practically a fish, so value my thoughts accordingly.

Hands 1 and 3 I play the same way. Ace with good kicker is a good push in HU, and I really liked hand 1.

Hand 2 I'm thinking you were a little aggressive. You have 5 players basically tied, on the verge of being short-stacked. From early position with this chip distribution I don't like to play anything I'm not ready to push on (because somebody else is bound to push), and I don't want to push with 88 in a 6-handed game. I'd be tempted to fold PF. Would probably give to temptation and raise PF, but fold to returned aggression.

I think hand 2 is good if the chips were different, but you are in a precarious chip position.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:17 AM

I'm confused. In all 3 of these you're asking if you played them wrong and I get the impression you are doing so because you lost the hands.

You got sucked out on. If I posted every hand that I got sucked out on today, I swear, jakethebake wouldn't be able to TOUCH me in post count.

I would be more concerned with hands where I am behind when the chips go in, or a fold I wasn't sure I should make. Not hands where I was ahead and got unlucky.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

3. Why wouldn't you just push when he reraised you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Though it is probably not far from optimal strategy, personally I don’t like to put first place on coin flips, even when I am a clear favorite without a pair preflop (including AK).

I WANT FIRST PLACE.

My usual approach is pushing AA, KK preflop, at least a strong pair on flop; being QUITE sure it is very hard for upcoming cards to suck out on me.

The rest of the time, I try to grind my opponent down by 3bb bets.

Reading 2+2 though is changing my play. I am doing more pushing now.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 I'm thinking you were a little aggressive. You have 5 players basically tied, on the verge of being short-stacked. From early position with this chip distribution I don't like to play anything I'm not ready to push on (because somebody else is bound to push), and I don't want to push with 88 in a 6-handed game. I'd be tempted to fold PF. Would probably give to temptation and raise PF, but fold to returned aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a fish too. This is exactly what I was thinking after the hand.