Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 11:53 AM

Default I literally had a nightmare about this hand last night.

I know when I start having dreams about a hand, I should probably post it. Should I have folded the flop? FOLD the turn? Smooth call the turn? Fold preflop? Just cry and take my stacking like a man because there is no other way?

I was 100 % sure he had a set in this hand, I was SO sure of it. This is villain's first hand at the table so no reads.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP ($275.78)
Button ($299.37)
SB ($345.97)
BB ($400)
Hero ($1009.92)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
Hero calls $4, MP calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($16) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $20</font>, Hero calls $20, MP folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($56) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $79</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $150</font>, Hero calls $906.92 (All-In), BB calls $226 (All-In).

River: ($1417.92) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $1417.92
Old 11-25-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: I literally had a nightmare about this hand last night.

Raise or fold preflop. You are OOP with a marginal hand.
Raise or fold on the flop, with more inclination to fold.
Raise more on the turn; make it 125 to go.
How can you get all-in on the turn when you don't have the nuts? How can you be sure that the opponent has a set if this is the first hand you've played against him? I'm just calling that turn re-raise.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:10 PM

His reraise on the turn should have been a clue that he wasn't worried about the flush since he obviously had a better flush. I don't think he would have done that with a set. There was no raise pre-flop, they only time it makes sense to lead out with a set on the flop when there is a possible flush draw is when there was a raiser pre-flop, you lead into him if you're fairly certain that he'll reraise and chase out the drawing hands, unless there are stubborn drawing hands. I would either fold the turn or call and try to check it down, although, I would lean towards folding since I'm pretty sure he's going to value bet from then on out. Stopping limping with suited connectors in early position. You just can't limp with hands that can't stand too much action pre-flop and there's a lot of people yet to act unless it is a passive table, in which case I would raise pre-flop.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:27 PM

I would have folded preflop, or at least raised.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His reraise on the turn should have been a clue that he wasn't worried about the flush since he obviously had a better flush. I don't think he would have done that with a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, with a set you would be inclined to call the $54 raise, and push the river if you made a boat. In this spot he should expect 0 fold equity from a flush.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:07 PM

i had a great reply typed out and my interent connection crapped out and page expired. cliff notes: turn play is horrible against an UNKNOWN. u are only ahead of 6high, 4high and 3high flushes. other than that villain would need to have a horribly played set/2pair or K high flush draw. in sum i raise villains weak turn bet make it 100 str8. if he 3 bets u have to fold against an unknown. overbet on flop weak turn 3bet turn when draw gets there look at lot like Kx hearts.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:22 PM

Folding this flop is the most insane weakest thing I have ever heard. Getting stacked on the turn is fine. Flush over flush is rare; you only have 100x BB.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:28 PM

Easy flop raise imo, although calling works too with 2 players behind you, only problem is they might call with a higher flushdraw. As played going allin on the turn might've been a little too big of an act IMO, I would just call his reraise and attempt at a showdown, although it might go in on the river anyways.
And as someone else said, villain only had 100bb's so it's no biggy... also I would raise this preflop to disguise it
Old 11-25-2005, 01:35 PM

Fold turn, you said you're sure you're beat and with a set I'd figure you have no fold equity. If you just call it would be hard to get value on the river if you hit your flush since it will be very obvious you hit a draw, straight might be different but I don't like calling either. PSR wasn't a bad idea but I think you have to fold to his reraise. No way would he fold to a push at that point.