Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Nothing much happens - AJs

Party 5/10 6-max 5-handed

Hero is Button with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Preflop: UTG limps, Hero raises, BB calls, UTG calls.

UTG is 40/8 over a good sample. He is aggressive postflop with very high raise frequency on all streets. BB is 67/12. Postflop he plays much too loose, bets at a good number of pots, and raises not so much.

Flop 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 SB): BB checks, UTG bets, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4.5 BB): All check.

River 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4.5 BB): All check.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:37 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Nothing much happens - AJs

I would bet at the turn if you plan to call a river. that depends on the players. if you think you can fold the river (which probably but not definitely means you shouldn't have called the flop) then your play is good on the turn.

these hands are a huge pain
Old 08-25-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet at the turn if you plan to call a river. that depends on the players. if you think you can fold the river (which probably but not definitely means you shouldn't have called the flop) then your play is good on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had no fixed plan for the river and intended to decide after seeing what happened.

I doubt I should call BB and I certainly don't want to overcall. If UTG bets it depends on the card, with spades, queens, sevens, fours, and twos definitely on the bad list. Queens are bad because they'll assume that I finally got lucky and won't bluff. The rest are bad in part because they complete draws but also because they will often frighten BB into checkcalling some little piece. If the river looks safe then I expect BB to bet many of the hands that beat me. That means if he checks I don't have to be unduly concerned that he will overcall.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:13 PM

Is it bad that I just fold the flop like a vag?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:11 PM

I'd bet the turn, as you being the PF raiser that turn card will look scary to everyone.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:39 AM

That's what I do. Even if he will only bet with a pair or a draw I think folding is best.

Cartman
Old 08-26-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Results

BB has 97 for a busted double gutshot.

UTG donked the flop with QJo. MHIG.

Results don't prove anything but I think this illustrates the problem with folding the flop. It's too easy to have the best hand because this flop is so hard to pair. Meanwhile they put you on overcards and bring out the LAG bets.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it bad that I just fold the flop like a vag?

[/ QUOTE ]

I fold as well.

Krishan
Old 08-26-2005, 08:41 PM

Wow, I'd never ever fold this flop. I raise a fair % of the time. Folding is weak, weak weak. If there was a scary card like a Q or K and you got donked a fold has much more merit. But you rate to be ahead a fair % of the time here. Calling and folding an ugly turn I can see, but straight out folding the flop is asking to get pushed around imo.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:25 PM

Yeah, I like calling or even raising here on the flop, depending on how likely I think I am to get BB to fold. If he was passive, I could fold this without much worry, but that fact that he is aggressive post-flop makes me think he might be betting a flush or straight draw. I think the turn K is something that you absolutely must bet. I take many pots down here on the turn when the big face card comes, even when I don't hit. If you get a caller after betting that turn and the river comes a 2, check it. Against the aggressive guy call and the other I'd fold.