Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 8 vs 13
Tiny Dancer - Elton John 19 32.20%
All Along the Watchtower - Hendrix 40 67.80%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Hooks Under The Gun in Level 1

First level of a SNG. No significant action yet. You are first to act and you are looking at Jacks. Nobody does the same thing 100% of the time but in most cases in this scenario, what do you do? And under what circumstances do you not follow this advice and do something different (i.e. do you feel that you would handle this differntly in a 215 than an 11)?
Old 05-22-2005, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Hooks Under The Gun in Level 1

What's the reasoning of the 37% that limp with Jacks? Play it only for set value?
Old 05-22-2005, 07:34 AM

or if you flop an overpair.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:49 AM

"or if you flop an overpair."

JJ against 4-5 Limper in an unraised pot is very hard to play, at least for me. If someone raises you you never know how streng they are, because raising someone who shows strength in an unraised pot is quite difficult than raising the preflop-raiser on an uncoordinated board.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:58 AM

Limp.

Your mainly playing for a set. If you flop an overpair then you have to play it differently based on the number of limpers. Less limpers = more aggressive.

It's the kinduv hand I'm willing to give up fairly quickly. Jacks is a pretty rag hand in that posistion, not much different from twos and lvl 1.

Think about it, if you raise and get callers those callers will either have overcards, a higher pair, or a lower pair. So what are our postflop scenerios:

Overcards: If they have overcards you aren't getting a lot of preflop equity anyway. Besides, lets say the flop has a queen, are you going to bet, let it go. Who knows if the queen helped anyone. Your out of posistion in a bad situation and you barely got any preflop equity.

Lower Pair:
Your getting a lot of PF equity here, but when the flop comes its really easy for them to fold a non-set. Harder for you. The potential of drawing dead postflop far outways the PF equity. Remember, you aren't getting any extra money out of them after the flop unless you both hit sets or something.

Higher Pair:
I don't need to explain just how bad this situation is. You don't think aces will be glad to cold call your raise and trap you. You did all the work for him. Low cards show up and you lose even more money. This is horrible.

Jacks is a great hand at higher blinds. Not here.
Old 05-22-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Limp.

Your mainly playing for a set. If you flop an overpair then you have to play it differently based on the number of limpers. Less limpers = more aggressive.

It's the kinduv hand I'm willing to give up fairly quickly. Jacks is a pretty rag hand in that posistion, not much different from twos and lvl 1.

Think about it, if you raise and get callers those callers will either have overcards, a higher pair, or a lower pair. So what are our postflop scenerios:

Overcards: If they have overcards you aren't getting a lot of preflop equity anyway. Besides, lets say the flop has a queen, are you going to bet, let it go. Who knows if the queen helped anyone. Your out of posistion in a bad situation and you barely got any preflop equity.

Lower Pair:
Your getting a lot of PF equity here, but when the flop comes its really easy for them to fold a non-set. Harder for you. The potential of drawing dead postflop far outways the PF equity. Remember, you aren't getting any extra money out of them after the flop unless you both hit sets or something.

Higher Pair:
I don't need to explain just how bad this situation is. You don't think aces will be glad to cold call your raise and trap you. You did all the work for him. Low cards show up and you lose even more money. This is horrible.

Jacks is a great hand at higher blinds. Not here.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he says . . .
Old 05-22-2005, 11:24 AM

Limp, from out of position in multiway pots jacks are very hard to play. If there is a raise that kills my set value I fold. If the flop comes something like 10 8 4 then I will play for overpair value, obviously.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:59 PM

Attention number people... What are the odds that:

A) The board will flop no overcards to a Jack?
B) That someone at a full table has QQ, KK or AA when you have JJ?
Old 05-22-2005, 01:02 PM

1)42%
2)12%
Old 05-22-2005, 01:05 PM

12%

Does the table have big pairs that often?