Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Table coaches say I\'m a \"Dumb a**\", but what about you?

MP1 is 33/8/1.2 over 100 hands or so.

No other read, except that BB doesn't raise much preflop (1.1% PFR over 400+ hands).

If villains have PT, then they'd see that I've been playing about 17/8/3 and running pretty good (I have the table covered).

Is my line ok?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

MP3 ($21.10)
CO ($101.05)
Button ($218.15)
Hero ($328.52)
BB ($116.55)
UTG ($82.19)
UTG+1 ($96.15)
MP1 ($105.85)
MP2 ($22.25)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls $5, Hero (poster) calls $4.50, BB calls $4.

Flop: ($20) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $10</font>, Button folds, Hero calls $10, BB folds.

Turn: ($40) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $50</font>, MP1 calls $35.

River: ($140) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, MP1 calls $40.85 (All-In), Hero calls $10.85.

Preflop call is a little loose because I'm out of position and there is the BB left to act. However, based on my play at the table, I found it unlikely BB would raise. So, I figured I'd be in good position vs. the button and preflop raiser to check to the raiser, see what button does, and make a flop decision after that.

On the flop, I called for the implied odds because I figured that if I hit a straight on the turn that it would be well disguised and that I could get paid off from TPTK or an overpair pretty well on the turn and river.

On the turn, I check raised to try and blow TPTK or an overpair off his hand once I picked up a big draw.

Regardless of the final outcome, I thought this went ok. My friendly table coaches thought I was an idiot.

Comments?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Table coaches say I\'m a \"Dumb a**\", but what about you?

I don't like the turn c/r. People don't lay down hands or didn't you notice that in your travels.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:13 PM

I wouldnt use the worde dumbass but you could have done better. i fold this pf OOP. I experinmented with calling like you did but after nearly 2 weeks of breakk even poker decided against it. what were u representing on the turn? 8 10? slowplayed set? Neither one is that beleivable.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:13 PM

Then calling on the turn is better given the odds, right?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:21 PM

Just go captain kirk on them: "Double dumb ass on you!"
Old 10-01-2005, 11:26 PM

If I wanted to represent a set on the turn, should I have just bet the pot instead of check-raising? Wouldn't that have been a "stop &amp; go" - and more believable as a set?
Old 10-01-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then calling on the turn is better given the odds, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, yes. Why did you underbet the river? That's $10.85 out there that he probably should have been smart enough to not give you.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I wanted to represent a set on the turn, should I have just bet the pot instead of check-raising? Wouldn't that have been a "stop &amp; go" - and more believable as a set?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont try to represent a set here. There is no +EV way to do it. In order to even try to represent a set you have to be playing really tight and be against someone that sees that you play really tight. Even against a thinking player like that doing it on a board with a lot of draws on it will get his bluff sirens going off.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you underbet the river? That's $10.85 out there that he probably should have been smart enough to not give you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't notice how close $30 was to his remaining $40.85. I tried to pick a number that he'd feel obligated to call despite the board pairing and the flush card falling. In retrospect, I should have just put him all in. With only $10.85 left, he's either calling for all of it, or folding anyway. That is a good point.