Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2005, 02:52 AM

Default Standard Early play $10 sitngos

So, Ive been playing a ton of the Party $11 sitngos in the last couple weeks after playing mostly ring games at various sites for the last 2 years or so. Accordingly, Ive been hitting up this forum alot more, trying to brush up on my 1 table tourney game, etc. The mantra on these boards is pretty simple, i.e. real tight early, dont take too many chances on the bubble if youre a short-stack, go for 1st once youve locked 3rd, et. al. I've been playing roughly along these lines, except I've been playing alot looser early on than what is normally prescribed. Not terribly loose (e.g. limping w/suited connectors, any pair, any big cards in MP or LP in the 1st 2 levels), but it seems to me that there's a good deal to be gained by seeing flops cheaply in the early levels against real weak players. It stands to reason that the really weak players will be alot more likely to go out in the 1st 4 levels, so dont you lose some value by not playing any pots with them unless you have a huge hand? Ive been able to double up fairly often against some of the worst players at the table, b/c if you do make a hand theyre so likely to pay you off, and this really helps me take my time when the blinds start pushing the action in level 5. Granted, Im sure this becomes increasingly less true as you move up in limits, but Im just speaking to what Ive seen so far. Just a thought, havent really seen anybody else on this forum take this position yet.