Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 02:20 AM

Default Nooby PF question

Hey guys, I am fairly new to LHE but I have played a lot of NLHE in the past

My question is how do we play hands like A10, AJ, and KQ under the gun in a tight ring game

In NLHE I would fold all of them, but would we play AJ and KQ in LHE? Does being suited change the play?
Old 12-23-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Nooby PF question

For what it's worth, I muck ATo, and raise KQs, AJs, ATs, KQo, and AJo.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:22 AM

fold a,10. a,j and k,q will both be pretty close in ev if you raise or call, but I think the standard is to raise both of them
Old 12-23-2005, 02:40 AM

Definitely fold ATo like other posters have said, call with ATs. I would raise with AJs or KQs.

About AJo and KQo. Under the gun I really dont think it matters in the long run whether you raise, call or fold these hands. These are probably the two most popular borderline hands that everyone has argued about for ages, or since people realized position was important in holdem.

Since you are new to limit holdem, I would actually suggest you fold AJo and KQo UTG until you feel confident about your game. Once you are convinced you are a winning player, you should be playing AJo and KQo no matter what your position. Whether to raise or call with these hands UTG in a 10 handed game really doesnt matter IMO as long as you dont fold.

However, given that you are just starting out at limit holdem, I think you would be better off playing tigher than normal and folding AJo and KQo UTG until you know you are a winning player. This will lower your variance, and you are giving up almost nothing in EV, in fact you might actually be making money/saving money by folding in this spot, since playing AJo and KQo UTG may not be +EV for you.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:52 AM

I raise ATs.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:14 AM

I see nothing wrong with raising ATs UTG in many types of games, certainly in many of the loose games online where you will get called by lesser hands, raising with ATs makes sense. But for someone new to the game, I would advise that they just call UTG since calling is close in EV to rasing. Calling will make the hand easier to play for a person new to the game and they are giving up almost nothing in EV.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:15 AM

My cutoff is just above ATs, I would rather have the limpers behind me, as many will call 1 bet with far inferior hands, but not 2. But whether you raise or call this hand, it will have little effect on your bottom line. Calling might be better for new, less-disciplined players, as they may not become as psychologically involved if they invested only 1 bet preflop.