Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Check behind on the turn?

Ok, like i said to Nick: What if he was in BB instead, and that he is a solid TAG. Still a clear value bet?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It’s a small pot, I’m checking and folding to the turn bet. What can SB have that you beat if he’s calling a raise and a bet on the flop. 99-JJ? Maybe 4 Qxs hands (QJ, QT, Q9, Q8), but that’s unlikely if he’s tight. I’d put him on AK-A10, or 99-JJ, so that’s too many hands that beat you.

My humble opinion…

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really, really weak-tight. I strongly encourage you to:

1. Realize that your opponent's play weak cards, and often their reasoning process would make no sense to you.

2. Realize that hand values become magnified in heads-up pots. This means opponents will often never fold any pair.

3. Appreciate that getting maximum value out of marginal (like, non-top-pair) hands, particularly in heads-up pots, is one of the keys to becoming an expert player. If you move up levels, you will find yourself in situations like this a whole lot, and you need to be looking for value in situations like this.

So, yes, we need to bet this flop.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:25 AM

This is a very straightforward turn bet, in my opinion, for a few reasons:

1. We often have the best hand here.

2. Villain is often calling with inferior hands in a heads-up pot (QJ, JJ, a worse crub draw, etc...)

3. We have tons of equity here even when behind. The consequence of this is that getting raised is not that expensive; if we have 25% equity in this pot on average when behind, getting raised only costs us an extra .75 BB effectively. (In general, the times the "check behind" maxim is most applicable is situations where you have a moderate number of outs--usually like 4-7--which, though, are enough that you would have to call a raise; the fewer outs, the more effectively expensive the raise).

The only times I really like a check here is when we have a reason to believe villain will fold to a turn bet but bluff the river, and he has a very small number of outs against us. (I also like checking if villain has a turn agg. factor of like 14 or something, and we more or less know we're getting check-raised).

I think the really interesting question about this hand is whether you have a value bet unimproved on the river.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, like i said to Nick: What if he was in BB instead, and that he is a solid TAG. Still a clear value bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes
Old 11-02-2005, 12:03 PM

yes
Old 11-02-2005, 12:04 PM

he misread the hand, but he's talking about the turn
Old 11-02-2005, 12:05 PM

the bet is for value. your large equity protects you from a turn c/r.