Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Set of J\'s on Flop Lost to unlikely straight Not enough AGG or Bad Bea

Hello Poker Mentors. Being as the converter hates me and refuses to work I will post this manually from memory. Sorry if it's not purrrfect. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I am UG2 at a .25 .5 NL game. I have around 30 Villian has has about the same.

I have J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I open raise for 1.50.Villian is in the CO and calls as does the SB.

Flop (5.00) 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks I bet 2.00 Villian and SB calls.

Turn (11.00) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks I bet 4.00 Villian calls and SB folds.

River (18.00) T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] putting three to a straight-flush on board.

I Push all in Villian calls and shows A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Should I have not pushed all in on the river? Should i have bet more on the turn to prevent a draw? If I bet around 5-6 on River and he open pushes shouldn't I call anyway? Should I have just checked the river? In any case I feel that he shouldn't have been in the hand but I am just wondering If i should have played this differantly. Any comments on all streets are greatly Appreciated.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Set of J\'s on Flop Lost to unlikely straight Not enough AGG or Bad Bea

So you pushed when its likely you were beat, but bet incredibly small when you were way ahead? Thats not logical at all...

Villian shouldnt have stuck around anyway, but your betting certainly didnt help.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Set of J\'s on Flop Lost to unlikely straight Not enough AGG or Bad

so your saying I should have been betting higher with top set on board? I think of this as a Monstor and focas on building a pot.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:42 PM

there's nothing wrong with going broke this hand but there is something wrong with your bet sizes. You needed to bet more on the flop and turn so that you would set yourself up to go all in on the river and not have it be such a big bet relative to the pot. You should have bet 3-3.5 on the flop and 6 on the turn.

I would go broke here too, just in a little different fashion.

No biggie, your opponent played horribly and got rewarded. Such is life.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:45 PM

I am fine with the suck out...I just want to see where I went wrong here. TY for the comment.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:48 PM

A short note to start with:

Don't post the result in advance - you only get result-orientated answers.

To the hand:

If you are going to slow-play a flopped set then this is exactly the sort of flop you would do it on. So no problem on the flop.

The turn is a differant story.
You are now facing a possible flush and str draw against 2 players.
You MUST put in a big bet. 3/4 pot to pot size.

The river:
The push, IMO, is bad. You are only getting called by a hand that beats you. I am probably check-folding to a reasonable bet.

However, as I said, it's easy to be smart when you know the result.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so your saying I should have been betting higher with top set on board? I think of this as a Monstor and focas on building a pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

for someone focusing on building a pot, you did a horrible job of doing so. You should have been betting more. You've got top set, but people will sometimes take a card off on the flop so bet a little more. You don't have to full pot it, but you could have bet a $1 or $2 more. For gods sakes pot the turn. You've got top set but now there are straight and flush draws out there. Anyone with a King is calling here so bet the pot or near it, and pray for a call. You very nearly gave him the correct implied odds to suck out on you, which he did, and took your stack.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:52 PM

The push on the river just blow me away. I llok back and I think WTF was i thinking. I figured I should have bet more on the turn but I am only a student here. I won't make this mistake again. I'll be sure not to post results in the Future. TY for your comments.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have been betting more. You've got top set, but people will sometimes take a card off on the flop so bet a little more. You don't have to full pot it, but you could have bet a $1 or $2 more. For gods sakes pot the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ty for your comments.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:16 PM

No problem, not trying to be mean. The most common thing I notice on the bad players at party is that they don't get paid off for their good hands. They flop a set, and lead $1 into a $10 pot. I might just call down with a draw and end up beating them, or I might call down with a medium pair, but they only end up winning $5 on a flopped set because they bet poorly. You want to build a pot, the only way you do that is to bet. If nobody has a hand, it doesn't matter what you bet, you aren't going to win anything, but these people will look for any excuse to call, so take advantage of that. How sick would you be if you made all these small bets, continued that trend on the river, and your opponent had AA and you could have stacked him? Gotta bet a lot to win a lot.