Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2004, 06:28 PM

Default GREG RAYMER= OVERATTED ON 2+2??

I am a regular of the MTT forum and I have to say Greg Raymer seems to be an untouchable g-d on these boards. While I am appreciative that he frequently lends advice to the 2+2 boards sometimes I believe there is a certain degree of bias for Raymer and his style of play on 2+2. While watching the WSOP i marvelled at Raymer's fearless blunt style...and also his luck. I think Raymer played the WSOP the optimal way for someone who only wants to win a 2500 person tourney and could care less about placing. All this does/did not make Raymer a worlclass player...and quite frankly he isnt one. Both Williams and Arieh have exceeded Raymer in successes since the WSOP but threads keep popping up discrediting their play and belittling their ability.

Is their a bias in favor of Raymer on 2+2?? DISCUSS....

DISCUSS.............
Old 12-04-2004, 06:35 PM

Default Re: GREG RAYMER= OVERATTED ON 2+2??

You sir, are an idiot.

Someone ban this clown.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:40 PM

Phixx thanks for adding evidence to support my view I appreciate this greatly...
Old 12-04-2004, 06:51 PM

yeah if you dont like someone's ideas ban them. as for raymer nobody really knows how good anyone is at tournament poker due to the volitility but i think you could safely say he is cant be regarded in the same class as negreanu, ivey (the absolute best) without a few more high finishes.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:59 PM

Has Greg Raymer played in any large tournaments after WSOP 2004?

And regarding Greg Raymer mearly being "lucky," you sir, are incorrect. Judging from his the ESPN footage of WSOP04, I'd say his fearlessness (not bluntness) largely contributed to his victory. So, he won a lot of coinflips and had some great hands during the final table -- remember, everyone needs to have some luck to win a tournament.

Greg Raymer has all of my respect.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:00 PM

Raymer's advice is always spot on and unfailingly accurate. So in that sense he cannot be overrated for his contributions to this board.

Now, probably it is true that whoever wins the WSOP will be overrated as a player, but that probably applies to any player who gets a ton of TV exposure.

-Michael
Old 12-04-2004, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a regular of the MTT forum and I have to say Greg Raymer seems to be an untouchable g-d on these boards. While I am appreciative that he frequently lends advice to the 2+2 boards sometimes I believe there is a certain degree of bias for Raymer and his style of play on 2+2. While watching the WSOP i marvelled at Raymer's fearless blunt style...and also his luck. I think Raymer played the WSOP the optimal way for someone who only wants to win a 2500 person tourney and could care less about placing. All this does/did not make Raymer a worlclass player...and quite frankly he isnt one. Both Williams and Arieh have exceeded Raymer in successes since the WSOP but threads keep popping up discrediting their play and belittling their ability.

Is their a bias in favor of Raymer on 2+2?? DISCUSS....

DISCUSS.............

[/ QUOTE ]

of course it is. when i guy can be praised for playing less tournaments over a 3 or 4 year span and performing decently in them (mostly local and lower buy-in, i might add) over say, David Pham, who plays more but also does better (i.e. more wins and final tables in bigger buy-in tournaments)....
what do you think?
Old 12-04-2004, 07:22 PM

I can't believe this kind of discussion is still going on.
Raymer knows his stuff.

Frankly, how do YOU know how he played the WSOP? Because you watched the ESPN coverage? I don't know the actual number, but the % of hands you saw Raymer play at the WSOP was very small. I don't see how you or anyone else can judge his play solely on that small amount of TV coverage.

That being said, the only thing to judge him by is how knowledgable his posts here have been. By most accounts, almost everything he has posted on 2+2 shows that he knows his stuff. Unless you have played with Mr. Raymer, or know someone that has, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Is there a 2+2 bias? Yes. Should there be? Yes.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe this kind of discussion is still going on.
Raymer knows his stuff.

Frankly, how do YOU know how he played the WSOP? Because you watched the ESPN coverage? I don't know the actual number, but the % of hands you saw Raymer play at the WSOP was very small. I don't see how you or anyone else can judge his play solely on that small amount of TV coverage.

That being said, the only thing to judge him by is how knowledgable his posts here have been. By most accounts, almost everything he has posted on 2+2 shows that he knows his stuff. Unless you have played with Mr. Raymer, or know someone that has, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Is there a 2+2 bias? Yes. Should there be? Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not judging his play based on the hands i saw him luck out on in the WSOP ME (i saw at least 5 that were dominated preflop and at least two won on the river). i'm judging his play based on all the hype surrounding him on 2+2 when his play, whether you wanna take it to the last 3-4 years, does'nt support it. if you're gonna hype someone like that, they should at least have the stats to back up the hype. other than that, it's favortism and bias.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You sir, are an idiot.

Someone ban this clown.

[/ QUOTE ]

why, because he's telling the truth? i certainly think Raymer is a good player, yet, his play and results over the last couple of years (on a national stage) don't deserve the hype or bias.