Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Help me understand AF

Yesterday, I played TPGK weakly against a 80/10/1.8 who threebet my flop CR and bet bet the turn and river, then turned over no pair no draw. I pasted the hand on IRC, and everybody said I should have jammed a lot more with a hand that good.

At the time, I was thinking 'Hey, my AF is like ~3, this guy can't be that aggro. I'm probably not raising preflop, then jamming with no hand after being CR'd, so this guy isn't either.'

I've started to realize that my understand of the AF total statistic sucks.

Can you guys help me understand what is passive, average, aggro, and psycho for the following VPIPs in a 6max game?

60+
Old 10-18-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Help me understand AF

Just taking his VPIP/PFR of 80/10, his preflop aggression is probably about 0.1

Since his total aggression is 1.8, that means his postflop aggression has to be 3.5+ in order to offset his preflop numbers.

My HUD has an option to display only postflop aggression. I would just use this number since you already have an indication of preflop aggression from VPIP/PFR.

As to each VPIP that you posted, it depends on their PFR as well.

As to the hand in question, well played. I don't think he would pay off a turn check raise so let him keep bluffing.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:32 PM

AF = (times bet) + (times raised) / (times called)

So it's the ratio of the times he's taken the initiative and the time he's just sat back and called.

A person who's coming in 80% of the time is going to be facing alot more flops and calling (correctly) in alot of places with 5 outs. He's much less likely to have a hand like TPGK than a person with a 25% VP$IP, so he's going to be playing alot of hands passively.

AF is a really noisy stat. You could technically get a guy with an 80% VP$IP who folds everytime postflop unless he hits TPGK or better, in which case he stuffs it. He'd have a huge AF.

To distill all that down into something you can use: Generally as VP$IP gets higher, the AF line for "Aggressive" goes down. A 80/20/1.0 is probably around as "agressive" as a 25/15/2.5. You need to just get an intuitive feel for the numbers though, because it's a really noisy stat.

Don't lean on AF too much, and watch opponents with abnormal AF's. They're probably playing strangely and the AF probably doesn't mean what you would generally think it does.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:43 PM

thanks for the responses, guys. What do you think of the aggression frequency stat that PA HUD recently started implementing?