Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Chief911 Goes to Vegas - Trip Report (Very Long)

3 and 7 for me. Hate 1 and 10. On Saturday's tournament I get seated in 1. About 5 hours into it they are splitting up our table and I'm excited to get off the end seat until I find out that I'm moving to a seat 10!. Seats 2 and 9 are not bad either and 4,5,6 are certainly better than 1 and 10 but not great.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:10 PM

Scooter already answered several questions, so I'll answer the ones that are left.

Regarding my read on that hand. Jean-Roberte Bellande played good poker, but he was very tricky, and played a wide range of hands. He very much liked to trap, and let other people do the betting for him.

Therefore, what would he do with his monster that he hit the flop hard with? It was not his usual to bet out like that on a big hand.

Now consider how many hands someone someone could have open-raised from LP with? Could be any ace, any king, QJ-Q9, JT, any pocket pair, etc. Of all of those hands, the only ones I do not have beat, are AA, AK, AQ, AJ, 77, and 33. Of those 6 hands that have me beat, only 4 of them are likely hands that someone would call an allin with, and for some people, only 3.

Do I have the option of calling and seeing the turn? Yes. I did not even think of that as an option, which was an error as well. But to commit that much to the pot, and not know I was ahead was tough. Would a raise have been OK? Most likely as well. Would have told me if I were ahead.

That's the tough thing. No matter how you looked at it, I misplayed the hand, and it sucks. =/

Nick
Old 12-08-2004, 06:13 PM

Regarding seats, I suppose the 3 and 7 are nice too. I played in the 7 seat most of the tourney, and it affords you a nice view of the table. I hate the 4 seat.

Nick
Old 12-08-2004, 06:20 PM

thanks for the post.

GO TO THE NOODLE BAR AT BELLAGIO (I think it's actually called "noodles")!!!!! the beef noodle soup with thin rice noodles is so damn good, like $12.

Also I hate the PR at Luxor as well. I played a tourney there and they didn't even know the correct BB/sb routine when it got heads up!
Old 12-08-2004, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's the tough thing. No matter how you looked at it, I misplayed the hand, and it sucks. =/

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Hindsight being what it is, and based on your read, what do you wish you had done? I mean, I wasn't trying to be critical in my original post. I think if you're playing AT, you're hoping for an Ace on the flop, which you got. Tough to get away from the hand at that point.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:58 PM

Fold Preflop. Or fold on the flop to avoid. The problem was, he was a somewhat LAG player, and wanted to run the table. Folding after I called the flop bet would have been a signal that he was the total boss at the table, and giving him the go ahead to run it over for a while.

Anyhow, I think if I'm going to get mixed into the hand, it was hard to get away from when I hit.

If I had to do it over again, I'd fold it preflop, avoid a marginal situation, and continue to show down my monsters.

Nick
Old 12-08-2004, 07:57 PM

Ya I think you played this correctly on the flop after calling preflop. If you have him on AQ or AK no way you can call preflop correct?? If you read weakness on the flop a call will only give him a free card and if he is a bully he might fire again at it anyway. So your basically just drawing out the inevitable; showing down your top pair 10 kicker. By playing back at him on the flop so strongly you are asserting yourself versus a would-be bully and this will gain you valuable respect from him later when he wants too make naked steals with his poston.

Again, as you said, your mistake was probably preflop, but had you caught AQ and probably AJ your gonna definitely play and probably get broke anyway. correct?? I might just muck it, its a weak play and plays right into game plan but by mucking perhaps he will pick a bad spot too pop your blinds and you can trap him.

Basically I guess it comes down to me not wanting to bustout with a hand like A10. Is this silly?? I dont know but it does keep me out of marginal decisons very often, of course it probably keeps me out of the winners circle quite often too. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2004, 08:34 PM

Oh, and just so you have a mental picture:

Melissa Hayden in all her glory. All I can think of is, horse.

Nick
Old 12-08-2004, 10:25 PM

good report, Chief.