Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Turn slowplay/give-up.

I'm playing 6 tables right now, so this isn't gonna be my best queen's english, but here it goes.

I've been thinking about checking in position on the turn with a good hand, with intention of raising the river when led into. Generally, I would say this is pretty pointless, as your basically hoping to win the same number of bets, but you're giving a free card that could kill you dead.

Then I was thinking about those times when you check behind on the turn because you either picked up some slim draw, or are basically giving up with something like AQ or AJ high. Very often after doing this, you'll get led into on the river, and, given the aggressiveness of some players in these games, you can't just fold every time, but you can't just call every time either.

So my question is, is there a point at which the deception gained from checking the turn with a strong hand overcomes the disadvantages of the move, in that it allows you to play those weak hands easier?

Even a small difference might be enough, as you're going to have a lot more shaky hands than good ones. Maybe it's all just a waste, though. I dunno. Maybe this is just an argument as to why I shouldn't post while playing.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Turn slowplay/give-up.

I think online adding that kind of deception won't help as nobody will have a read on you that is that in debt.

Live high stakes games however are a whole nother field of play.

blake
Old 10-22-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Turn slowplay/give-up.

The time to check a monster on the turn is when you feel your opponent will fold if you bet. This requires that your opponent be fairly tight, and a good hand reader, and that you have his hand range down pretty well. This combination doesn't occur very often playing online, especially 6-tabling, but it does happen.

I suspect that as the limits get higher it happens much more frequently.

-eric