Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Got stiffed on a tip tonight

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously you sound like someone who has become a pro poker player and now wants to bitch about variance. You're coming off ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an excellent point

Bad tips come with the job.

But us servers still like to bitch about them. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One STT poster attacking another's ROI isn't personal? Bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who attacked his ROI? I haven't even played STTs for like 4 months. Note my total lack of posts there. All I was doing was comparing my tip percentage to ROI. I really don't know or care about his ROI.

But, you'll undoubtedly dismiss that as BS too.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Grow up. People [censored] people over all the time. The difference between them and you is that they are men enough to deal with it and move on without crying about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is "them" in this case? I don't get it.

Anyways, I worked tonight and had a very good night. I'm over it. I hope you guys are over your "bash DasLeben" mood too. I doubt it though. You guys always need some chum in the waters.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:02 AM

A lot of people got hyped up and took disagreements in this thread way too seriously, and from your last post, it looks like you did too.

Oh well, we're all human, and OOT is not exactly an important place to be flawless in.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Working in a restaurant makes you racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, being a racist makes you racist.

When I was around 17, a friend and I went to a Denny’s or something similar to that. We thought each other covered the tip and left. The waiter comes outside, “YO? DID YOU NOT LIKE MY SERVICE?” We replied that was not the case, “Then how come you left me [censored]?” We questioned each other about the tip, and yes, we left nothing. We rectified the situation and pulled some money out, but it was kind of a strange situation.

Years later, I took my mother out for Mother’s Day to a nice restaurant. The service was good (and the food for that matter)- the bill came to $199.xx. I pulled out 2 $100 bills and 1 $50 bill. I put the money in the billfold and left.

As we approach the car:

“HEY, [censored]? WHAT WAS THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR SERVICE?”

“Excuse me?”

“YOU HEARD ME”

“What are you talking about?”

“YOU KNOW WHAT- YOU STIFFED ME YOU CHEAP [censored]”

I looked in my wallet and sure enough, I pulled two $50’s and one $100.

He was a very nice guy when he was serving us, but this mistake saved me $50.

In conclusion, should I form an opinion about servers from this?
Old 10-16-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Working in a restaurant makes you racist. The sad sad truth. The majority of people who leave shitty tips are minorities.

[/ QUOTE ]

Working in any industry where you serve the public is liable to help make you racist. I felt it happening to me when I worked in sales. I worked in a furniture store and we'd get a lot of new immigrants to the country who didn't have a firm grip of the language or culture, and didn't have a lot of money to spend so they'd all be looking at the cheapest items and would all want to bargain.

The thing is that there were also MANY annoying and ignorant white people as well. But they all blend together. It's the minorities that you remember, because they're different than you and stick out more because of it. It's like only remembering the particularly bad beats in *that game*, but forgetting all of the times you gave bad beats to others, and then concluding that the site is rigged.

If you kept track of all the times that white people stiffed you on tips and compared it to all the times that non-whites stiffed you, you'd probably find that there isn't as much difference in tipping between the races as you thought.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Working in any industry where you serve the public is liable to help make you racist. I felt it happening to me when I worked in sales. I worked in a furniture store and we'd get a lot of new immigrants to the country who didn't have a firm grip of the language or culture, and didn't have a lot of money to spend so they'd all be looking at the cheapest items and would all want to bargain.

The thing is that there were also MANY annoying and ignorant white people as well. But they all blend together. It's the minorities that you remember, because they're different than you and stick out more because of it. It's like only remembering the particularly bad beats in *that game*, but forgetting all of the times you gave bad beats to others, and then concluding that the site is rigged.

If you kept track of all the times that white people stiffed you on tips and compared it to all the times that non-whites stiffed you, you'd probably find that there isn't as much difference in tipping between the races as you thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD you're speaking the truth brother, good point
Old 10-16-2005, 04:03 AM

I am sure I will make comments already said but I don't have time to read everyone's and I really want to say this.
1)You took the job knowing full well what your wages were and what your duties were so don't complain that you only make x amount an hour for running your ass off.... you applied and took the job
2)Just because a bill is for example $300 doesn't mean a server should get $30-$45 in tips..... because for all we know, there could have only been two customers who happened to order $75 steak and lobster dinners and ordered two bottles of the nicest wine..... meaning that you didn't have to work as hard as you would if it were 20 people ordering cheeseburgers and pop.
3) I almost always tip and I think I am a good tipper but I have grown to hate the expected tip and to hate the fact that a lot of servers think it is a guarantee and therefor don't "earn" it.... and when they behave this way I leave them NOTHING.... and I LOVE it
4) You cannot say that people who feel the same as I don't know what it is like because I used to work in a restaurant and I always felt really awkward getting tipped... I mean, I am only doing my job... the job that I am getting paid a wage for.
5) I am a teacher now and nobody tips me for doing my job which I am certain I work a hell of a lot harder at than you do and I work longer hours and I had to get two degrees to do.... and I don't make a great wage either

So, if you don't like it then quit because I am sooooooo sick of hearing whiny b itch es like you compalin about how hard you have it..... it is my money and I will do with it as I please. And it pleases me to deny tipping you!!!
Old 10-16-2005, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure I will make comments already said but I don't have time to read everyone's and I really want to say this.
1)You took the job knowing full well what your wages were and what your duties were so don't complain that you only make x amount an hour for running your ass off.... you applied and took the job

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. Already covered. And y'know what, I made $14/hr tonight, not including my base wage. You can go suck it.

[ QUOTE ]
2)Just because a bill is for example $300 doesn't mean a server should get $30-$45 in tips..... because for all we know, there could have only been two customers who happened to order $75 steak and lobster dinners and ordered two bottles of the nicest wine..... meaning that you didn't have to work as hard as you would if it were 20 people ordering cheeseburgers and pop.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, how much should I make? You seem to be the resident expert and authority here. $5? $10? C'mon. Throw out some numbers.

[ QUOTE ]
3) I almost always tip and I think I am a good tipper but I have grown to hate the expected tip and to hate the fact that a lot of servers think it is a guarantee and therefor don't "earn" it.... and when they behave this way I leave them NOTHING.... and I LOVE it

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you're welcome to come into my restaurant and watch me work my ass off. I definitely work for my tips.

[ QUOTE ]
4) You cannot say that people who feel the same as I don't know what it is like because I used to work in a restaurant and I always felt really awkward getting tipped... I mean, I am only doing my job... the job that I am getting paid a wage for.

[/ QUOTE ]

You felt awkward making tips? You are the first server/ex-server I've met that's ever felt like that. When tips are what pay your bills, you can't think like that. Actually, it's not even possible to think like that and keep your electricity on at the same time.

[ QUOTE ]
5) I am a teacher now and nobody tips me for doing my job which I am certain I work a hell of a lot harder at than you do and I work longer hours and I had to get two degrees to do.... and I don't make a great wage either

[/ QUOTE ]

"You took the job knowing full well what your wages were and what your duties were so don't complain that you only make x amount an hour for running your ass off."

Look familiar?

[ QUOTE ]
So, if you don't like it then quit because I am sooooooo sick of hearing whiny b itch es like you compalin about how hard you have it..... it is my money and I will do with it as I please. And it pleases me to deny tipping you!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

So...you expect me to come into work and make nothing? I've already mentioned that at the end of the night, I'm required to "tip out" 2% of my sales to the hosts, regardless of how much I made in tips. I actually lost money working that $102 table. And no, my base wage didn't make up for that, considering my checks every two weeks are meaningless (and some people don't even get checks).

Let me just repeat that for effect: When you don't tip for decent service, not only are you not fairly compensating your server, you're costing him/her money. If I don't get tipped, I have to come up with that "tip out" money out of my own pocket. Do you consider this at all fair or courteous to other people?

Oh, maybe you could also fill me in as to how you're a teacher (with two degrees, even), yet your post is rife with grammatical/spelling errors.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try STlantny but no means no.