Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Building a NL bankroll.

I've seen a few posts on building bankrolls (bonus whoring etc), but unfortunately they're based on limit games (suggesting 300bb etc). I was wondering if there are any threads which are geared towards building bankrolls for NL players? Obviously you can build your bankroll going through the similar steps (bonus whoring mostly), but I'd like to get the advice from someone who's successfully built a bankroll in NL starting with a $50 to $100 bankroll. ie; What size bankroll is required for $25 NL tables, or if there are any micro games I can play on any sites, etc., etc. Also, what about multi-table or single table tournaments, and so on.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Re: Building a NL bankroll.

I am still grinding it out right now, a couple sites have some good bonuses (InterPoker 90 for 90, and Carribean sun gives 40 dollar signup bonus), but it takes a while to clear both at the lower limits if you are depositing under a hundred. Right now I am at Poker Stars, good range of NL blinds, that would be my suggestion.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:48 AM

The NL equlivilent of the 300BB 'rule' is generally considered to be 20 buy-ins, that is, $500 for the $25 NL games. These guidelines only apply to players that either cannot go broke, or are committed to building and maintaining a bankroll without ever having to reload. If you can afford to lose a couple hundred bucks, there's no real reason not to start out at $25NL, but there's nothing wrong with starting out small, either.

There are plenty of sites with micro games- I'd reccomend the Paradise .5/.10 games ($10 buy-in) as a good starting point. You'll want a $200 bankroll for that level, which is convienient, because that's how much you need to take full advantage of the 50%, $100 'GRANNY' bonus (see the classified ads). The next step down does not clear the bonus effectivly.

It's possible to bonuswhore up a roll starting with $50 or $100, but it's more difficult since there are few bonuses out there that you can max out on $100- and you want to get the biggest bonuses that you can. It might be a good idea to refine your play first- get a small bonus at a site like Absolute, or sign up at stars (no sign up bonus, but lots of micro games at all levels) and grind it up to $200 and then got to Paradise.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:06 AM

I went to add this at http://poker.wikicities.com/wiki/Bankroll , then I noticed it was already there a little farther down. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2005, 12:59 PM

Hmmm. maybe a part-time j-o-b [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2005, 05:34 PM

I've gone from $50 to $4,000 playing MTTs. Variance is high, but when you hit you hit big.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:47 PM

Which MTT do you usually play? I've just been doing the freerolls on PP because they're actually decent payouts ($1k for first, $50 for just making top 50). The $1 ones have less of a payout, and the $2 ones have identical payouts. So I see no point in playing those. In fact the only ones that seem to be worth it above the $5k freerolls are the $10 buy-ins, but my bankrolls doens't exactly support that. I'd only have enough for 5-10 tournaments.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which MTT do you usually play? I've just been doing the freerolls on PP because they're actually decent payouts ($1k for first, $50 for just making top 50). The $1 ones have less of a payout, and the $2 ones have identical payouts. So I see no point in playing those. In fact the only ones that seem to be worth it above the $5k freerolls are the $10 buy-ins, but my bankrolls doens't exactly support that. I'd only have enough for 5-10 tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is on Party? I don't eve see freeroll MTT's on the tourney listings for party.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:06 AM

Go to Tournaments->Regular. There are tons available, including 2 $5k freerolls per day.