Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 01:05 PM

Location: Typing \"nice runner runner\" over and over and over and over and over and over
Default Re: When did you quit hearing music...

[ QUOTE ]
A) Pink Floyd
B) The Wall
C) Comfortably Numb
D) 17
E) Drug-Influenced

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember hearing this song as a kid and thinking it sucked. Years went by and then I heard it again around 19 or 20, and I remember being somewhat amazed at the difference in how I experienced the song. I didn't just hear it; I understood it. Then the guitar solo at the end came in and just took it home - one of those moments where the music speaks in a way that words simply can't.

Good choice.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A) Pink Floyd
B) The Wall
C) Comfortably Numb
D) 17
E) Drug-Influenced

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is almost exactly the same. I was 18, first year in college. Came back from a party completely hammered, and sat in a buddy's dorm room with a couple of folks and listened to The Wall. When Comfortably Numb came on, I heard it for the first time.

Been one of my fav songs ever since.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By 18 I hope you have moved on to other music

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF. To what? Easy Listening?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Ani Defranco too don't you...

[/ QUOTE ]
...because she's one of the best singer/songwriters alive.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:50 PM

High School -

Simon and Garfunkel/Beatles/Crosby, Stills, and Nash

- this is in 1989 - I could identify with that music over what was current (Metal) and because it was so lyrically heavy, it made me dig deeper into albums and music...

At this point you might think I started listening - I didnt

==================================

I sought an identity in that time period focused on lyrics, but didn't hear music really - but my 2nd year in college I would branch from there into some exotic sounds, like Paul Simon's Graceland and South African bands like Juluka and Phil Keaggy (A christian guitar player who has the most unreal guitar skills I've ever seen) - and all this new music and sounds reminded there was more then just AM/C/G - and I really began and explore and listen to ALL music.

it was always about the lyrics and the music though, almost never for the image or commercial radio cut...but obviously, but really great lyrics or music can forgive a lot for me. I've been loyal to musicians who should have stopped playing 10 years ago well into the 50K and 700 album sales range.

and then there are singers like Emmylou Harris, who can take any song they sing, no matter how good or bad, and turn it into gold - but that's another story - [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

RB
Old 12-08-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don’t think 15 is young for the Doors. 15 is when you are supposed to discover the Doors and think you are the only one who understands Jim and vice versa. By 18 I hope you have moved on to other music or you will turn that guy who lives with their parents still, driving a "bitchin" car and most probably have some sort of wispy facial hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there's one thing I don't believe in regarding music, it's "moving on" because you think you're smarter or slicker or more experienced. That's like saying you can't like comedy anymore because now you're into drama and have grown up a lot, or that now that you've matured you realize Disney sucks. Take things for what they are or you're being dishonest with yourself. The people who think they're "progressing" by changing the music they're listening to mostly make me laugh. Especially since they're both usually just moving from one crappy band to another and because they're often so desperate that everybody knows they're listening to "the right music" now. The music hasn't changed or gained or lost any worth. They're just trippin' on themselves and hurrying to congratulate themselves for their imagined evolving heightened state of grooviness.

I also don't think of people who listen to The Doors the way you do at all. You sound like you're speaking from very personal experience with your peculiar imagery and very narrow image of the Doors music and the "type" of person who listens to them.

I think you've give us a slice of personal biography and where your thinking is at rather than said anything cogent about either music or the Doors in that post.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:29 PM

A) Hendrix
B) Best of, or something
C) Castles Made Of Sand
D) 15

I started listening to music when I started to play the guitar, and this song I first heard a few weeks after I picked it up.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don’t think 15 is young for the Doors. 15 is when you are supposed to discover the Doors and think you are the only one who understands Jim and vice versa. By 18 I hope you have moved on to other music or you will turn that guy who lives with their parents still, driving a "bitchin" car and most probably have some sort of wispy facial hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there's one thing I don't believe in regarding music, it's "moving on" because you think you're smarter or slicker or more experienced. That's like saying you can't like comedy anymore because now you're into drama and have grown up a lot, or that now that you've matured you realize Disney sucks. Take things for what they are or you're being dishonest with yourself. The people who think they're "progressing" by changing the music they're listening to mostly make me laugh. Especially since they're both usually just moving from one crappy band to another and because they're often so desperate that everybody knows they're listening to "the right music" now. The music hasn't changed or gained or lost any worth. They're just trippin' on themselves and hurrying to congratulate themselves for their imagined evolving heightened state of grooviness.

I also don't think of people who listen to The Doors the way you do at all. You sound like you're speaking from very personal experience with your peculiar imagery and very narrow image of the Doors music and the "type" of person who listens to them.

I think you've give us a slice of personal biography and where your thinking is at rather than said anything cogent about either music or the Doors in that post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Super! I still think the Doors suck.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:34 PM

Hi trotski,

Freshman year of HS (1982) I got a copy of the drum tablature for The Camera Eye by Rush, off of their Moving Pictures album. I listened to that song very closely, over and over, and have typically listened to music closely, picking out little details ever since.

I feel a sense of possibilities,
offTopic
Old 12-08-2005, 06:35 PM

A) Sublime
B) Forty Oz to Freedom
C) The whole album
D) 12 or 13