Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Those long boring sessions....

I've played online enough to know how you can literally go hundrends of hands without getting a single thing to play. No biggie, thats poker, be patient, etc.. But in live play, that often translates to many many hours of just sitting there folding and folding and folding. Besides studying opponents, how else do you keep from getting bored to tears?

Live play is great when having fun and you're getting cards, but I'm increasingly intollerant of the down times in live play when there is nothing to do but fold for hours it seems. Its very hard to keep from loosening up in those times... I guess my love of online 6-max games, often 3-4 at a time, has made it more difficult recently to play live action.. which does kinda suck.

Suggestions, perspectives, etc appreciated.. thx.. BB
Old 10-07-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Those long boring sessions....

patience is my biggest flaw. I think that is the only way some of the old fartbags survive. When you are on a cold card streak I try to do anything to keep myself from loosening up and it doesnt always work. You are right though, there is nothing better than getting hot cards and nothing more boring than getting cold cards. Read a magazine, bet horses, watch tv, whatever it takes. Thats why I dont play in tourneys, u cant take many breaks, they are sooo long, and one mistake could kill you
Old 10-07-2005, 04:49 PM

Yep, we've all been there...I know exactly what you're talking about. Last week, had a B&M session where I went 4 orbits and didn't see a single flop, not even the blind hands (although it wasn't a hugely wild table, just worked out that each of my BB's happened to have been raised, and the SB hands weren't worth even calling for the "discount"). I was beginning to wonder if maybe a root canal wouldn't have been a more enjoyable experience.

At these times, what I'll do is try to concentrate just as intently on the action as if I had cards. I'll pick a couple of players and try to pick up every tell, read their cards, figure out betting patterns, etc. (all the stuff we're supposed to be doing anyway when we aren't in the hand). I also keep counting bets, so that always knowing exactly what's in the pot is a grooved, routine habit (after all, there's no little pot amount posted on top of the chips, like there is online, so it takes a little practice).

That's what I do to fight the boredom. Nevertheless, it's sometimes easier said than done. I'd be less than honest if I didn't admit that sometimes Monday Night Football on the big screen behind the dealer grabs more of my attention than I should allow.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:07 PM

1. this is why i always bring my mp3 player.

2. get up and walk around/stretch in between hands.

3. most card rooms will provide a variaty of poker magazines, grab them and read them while waiting for next hand.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:09 PM

wear a long coat. cut a whole in the pocket. enjoy.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:20 PM

I practice counting the bets in the pot. I get lazy online with the numbers being automatic. Counting the pots I'm not in makes it easier when I am in there.

I like the raincoat idea too...
Old 10-07-2005, 07:42 PM

...and you'll look like Goose Hinson with all the facial expressions
you'll be making.

-ZEN
Old 10-09-2005, 01:25 PM

Interesting, never thought of multitabling poker and pocket pool before.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:42 AM

2 words...

I POD
Old 10-10-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3. most card rooms will provide a variaty of poker magazines, grab them and read them while waiting for next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful though. Was playing at Foxwoods this weekend and had an Asian lady berate me and another player for reading in between hands. She was all "You want read you go library!"