Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 12:36 AM

Default A BB Special: Like it or hate it?

Comments appreciated on the way I played this one:

Party Poker $400 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed) converter

MP2 ($415.3)
MP3 ($729)
CO ($303)
Button ($474.55)
SB ($404)
Hero ($613.3)
UTG ($240)
UTG+1 ($187.7)
UTG+2 ($169)
MP1 ($191)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $10</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $6.

Flop: ($22) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $40</font>, Hero calls $20.

Turn: ($102) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($102) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $125</font>, CO calls $125.

Final Pot: $352
Old 06-24-2005, 12:43 AM

Default Re: A BB Special: Like it or hate it?

I don't like it. I am folding this if not preflop, then definitely to a reraise on the flop. Hope it worked out and your ace was good, but if you don't hit that ace, I think you are just giving money away here with the play preflop and on the flop.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:35 AM

Your play made me laugh. I love it!
(but sure as hell wouldn't do this myself)
LOL
Old 06-24-2005, 01:47 AM

how do people feel with a preflop reraise to what could be a CO steal raise? it lessens the fact that he's OOP and he could most likely have the best hand
Old 06-24-2005, 09:28 AM

Default Results & My Thinking

I note that I neglected to include any read information. Apologies. Villian was a SLAP. Something like 24/7/2. Not a winning player.

Preflop : Ok. That almost certain steal raise gets zero respect from me. I'll take a card off. Why didn't I reraise, as was suggested above? I thought about it. I usually would in this spot. But, I was trying something different.

Flop : Somewhat interesting. I may still have the best hand if he tried to steal with Ax or Kx, I'm behind if he has a pair and I could be crushed if he raised with something like 97 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or 86 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I'll bet out and see where I am. If he was on a steal, he will probably fold unless he hit. If he really had a hand, or hit one, then I'm in trouble.

The Minraise : The key to the hand. I called it only because I was getting 4:1. I wasn't sure what it meant but I did not interpret it to mean a monster. Maybe Villian has A8s or is on a draw?

Turn : I think this may actually be good card for me. If villian has AA or AK (possible given the pf raise) then I'm dead. But I don't think he has AA because of the minraise. He could have AK too, but I don't think he is aggressive enough to have raised with it on the flop. I think there is actually a good chance I now have the best hand. So, the check was designed as a trap. If he bet I was planning to check raise big. If he has KK, QQ or JJ I have him.

River : A bit of a scare card. He could have made a straight. But maybe I did too. If I check and he bets I won't really know what to do. So, I decide to make a play for the pot. My thinking on the overbet is: (a) he may fold; (b) there is some chance he will think it is a bluff and call with A8 or KK and (c) if he raises I will have to muck.

Results : Villian showed K7. He then typed in the chatbox that I had really "confused" him on that hand.

I dislocated my elbow patting myself on the back for this one but it did occur to me that I got pretty lucky with a ridiculous episode of fps.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Results & My Thinking

I like it a little bit more now with reading your thoughts going through the hand, glad it worked out for you.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:34 AM

I liked it....looked like a missed flush draw trying to steal the pot and he looked you up...I personally would have never called that bet, but you had a good read on him and it worked...I think similar plays like this could be an area for me to work on in my game as I don't think I get paid enough for some of my winning hands.