Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: How do you handle cold cards/downswings?

i 2nd temet's advice. it seems to come up weekly and i always hear this advice of playing other, maybe new games. This helps one concentrate on the learning aspects of the game, rather than the bad luck one's been facing. NL sngs will kill your bankroll if you're tilting and multitabling, but in terms of learning patience and knowing when to turn up the aggression, I love these things. Just play one table (if you aren't already) and stick it out. I have a 100bb downswing every other week now.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:29 PM

Just went through (a worse) one myself. Took the time to find some leaks. Dropped to one table, took time to think each click. Dropped limits, tightened up.

When didn't feel like playing, took the opportunity to whore some blackjack. Cleared some bonii, played some S&G. Just got a little variety.

Got my mojo back, back to normal.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:09 PM

One thing to realize is that there is no such thing as "being in the middle of a downswing".
All you can know for sure is that you have had a downswing up til now. Just keep playing your best game and you will be up again. (if you are in fact a winning player)

I had a 100BB downswing last week and it made me want to puke. To make matters worse it was only a week after I stepped up to 2/4 so it felt like A LOT of money to me. In the end I almost hated seeing AK, QQ or other premium hands because they "never" held up, or made very little money when they did.
But things turn around and sooner or later you will get hot decked or at least normal.

Also try to pay attention to your pot/implied-odds estimations. I believe that one of my major leaks was not to discount draws when I held middle or bottom pair enough, and also that I bet AK and the likes too hard when they missed the flop. I didn't pay enough attention to the fact that several of my opponents would call me down with mottom or middle pair.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:13 PM

Raise more. Play more.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:57 AM

100BB is becoming so commonplace, the same thing happened to me and I've been doing nothing but bonus whoring lately after dropping 2k at 5/10 6max. And now I'm down over $200 playing 1-2 6max.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:18 AM

If you created a computer program that played perfect/winning poker 24/7, and you randomly logged on and checked it...it of course would be making money in the long run, but it was in a 100BB downswing would you worry? would you change it to start playing less perfect? Bankroll permitting, would you drop down if you didnt have to?

this is why I like to try and think of myself as a machine, TRYING to make the proper decision for every situation I find myself in....start thinking of it as one LONG session (month, year, lifelong)

Thats how I deal
Old 05-26-2005, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you created a computer program that played perfect/winning poker 24/7, and you randomly logged on and checked it...it of course would be making money in the long run, but it was in a 100BB downswing would you worry? would you change it to start playing less perfect? Bankroll permitting, would you drop down if you didnt have to?

this is why I like to try and think of myself as a machine, TRYING to make the proper decision for every situation I find myself in....start thinking of it as one LONG session (month, year, lifelong)

Thats how I deal

[/ QUOTE ]

no need to say more after this great post!! play on just like you used to, if u start changing things while on a loosing streak - the changes might look smart at the time but actually be errors and mistakes ruining your game

GL
Old 05-26-2005, 02:30 PM

This reply is for SFWUSC:

Seriously? I 8-table and wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one...
Old 05-26-2005, 02:40 PM

I has been happening to me lately (pay back for the 8K hands that won like 300-400BB maybe). It would be worse, but I have found some people that I could read perfectly allowing me to win some pots that I shouldn't have.

I was up 30BB Tuesday night before dinner. After dinner I lost like 55BB. Yesterday, I lost like 20 BB.

That is a 75 BB downswing in like 36 hours. If you play a lot of hands....that will happen. I got AA like 3 times in 1200 hands and lost all three times. Sets lost. No hit on draws. KK and QQ win blinds or lose big pots.

This stuff happens. 100BB isnt worth a post.

That 200BB swing I had two weeks ago...it was worth posts. I had a lot over in the SS forum. I was trying to find leaks.

-SFWUSC
Old 05-26-2005, 02:55 PM

This LINK is very applicable.

Adam