Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-27-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Re: Might I suggest

This may be terrible advice; I don't think it but it could be.

I suggested something that worked for me which I thought might work for the OP.

Losing control and bleeding off hard earned money is one problem I've never had; this makes it tough for me to dispense worthy advice for combating this problem.

In other words, I should have probably abstained from this discussion.

My apologies if any harm came of it. (Really)

However . . .

Re. your contention that this type of mentality will never allow for [me or anyone else] to take his game to the next level . . .

I have taken mine about as far as far as I ever will. I haven't the drive (and may very well lack the skills) to soar among the giants. I made a nice haul in '05 and look forward to an equal (or slightly improved, keyword: slightly) '06, but I have long made my peace with the fact that I will never be seen on ESPN or the Travel Channel.

Not all of us are seeking immortality; some of us like/love (live for?) this game and need occasional help with some of the more mundane problems we encounter.

It is this fact that led me to make such a simplistic, and perhaps damaging (though I doubt any damage was done) suggestion to the OP.

If he'd said his biggest problem with his game was a bad back I'd have suggested he buy a new chair; if he'd said eye strain was his biggest stumbling block I'd have suggested glasses and/or a bigger monitor.

His post suggested he had a fairly good grasp on how to play the game but that he had problems with a tendency toward hating his money. I accept that this was not my finest moment on 2+2, but I am curious - what would YOU suggest this person do ?

I tried to help him slay his demon; your contribution was - hmm, sorry, remind me again - what was YOUR contribution ?

I'll stipulate that my suggestion was [far] less than great; care to pick up the ball where I fumbled it?

I'll also extend the same invitation to jmillerdls.

- Oh, btw . . . she is; she REALLY is [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (see his response).

Though she obviously lacks anything resembling good judgement. (The wedding is in 4 months).

Nonetheless, neither boasting of her charms nor of my good fortune to be their recipient was not the intention of my reply.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Might I suggest

What a suggestion: teach OP to play with scared money ALL THE TIME!

Your wisdom is far too subtle for my simple mind.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Building a bankroll

Get a part-time job so you don't have to cash out $50 every time you make it.

Jeesh.

KEEP YOUR POKER BANKROLL SEPARATE FROM YOUR REAL-LIFE BANKROLL, WITH THE EXCEPTION, OF COURSE, OF YOUR FIRST DEPOSIT.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:39 PM

Just read, play and learn buddy. I tilt and hate it everytime I do. I don't think there's a gimmick to keep me from doing so, just discipline and experience. At least I hope so. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:53 AM

play 25nl 6-max till u build a roll of 400-500 then move to 50nl 6max and build it 1000-2000 and now your off to a good start

if u cant do this u have no business playn noloimit so save your money or stick to playn donk tournys for there novelty
i see people lose 1000s b/c they dont know basics

gl to u
Old 12-28-2005, 03:23 AM

You make some good points, but might I suggest you include a plan to incorporate a purchase of SPELLCHECK into your plans ?

Wait - I was just informed it's available for FREE. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 02:50 PM

if i where playing spelling bee's for money i would be a sucker or a donk

but i play no limit and im no sucker at that game

i did write noloinit wtf
Old 12-28-2005, 08:38 PM

A few suggestions:

1) Play hours, not results. Play your selected game for a set time, only staying longer if you are winning and you are a big favorite in the game. If time runs out and you are losing, there's always tomorrow. When deciding to stay longer, still base your decision on time, such as one more hour, rather than "when I win $20 more." Also, cash out at a constant interval, like weekly or biweekly. This advice is based on Daniel Negreanu's Cardplayer article. In the long run, you'll be able to objectively determine how successful you are as a poker player.

2) When you lose three consecutive sessions, move down a limit. When you win three consecutive sessions, move up a limit, provided your bankroll is large enough for that limit. I play $1/$2 NLHE live and I was playing $100 NLHE online until I had a few losses, putting a dent in my confidence. I stepped down to $50 NL, booked a few wins, and now my confidence is up and most of my losses are replenished. I was able to win back what I lost while risking less, and at the same time allowing myself to regain the confidence I needed to compete at the higher limit. This idea came from an article by Kristi Gazes on FullTilt.

3) Play within your means. Poker isn't a race, so don't be in any rush to build a massive bankroll and buy a mansion. Poker is gambling, so don't play with money you can't lose. You can't control the cards, and luck does play a factor in the game. With a decent bankroll, and some skill to boot, you should be able to withstand any downswings caused by poor luck and come out a winner in the long run.

4) Don't take shots at higher limits when your bankroll can't withstand it; shots aren't for serious players. While this is related to tip #3, it is somewhat different because some players feel it is OK to take 25% of their bankroll and take one gamble at a higher limit. There's really no positive reasons to do something like that. A serious player would never do it because he/she wouldn't rely on a lucky night at a big limit. Like TOP says, good players are at war with luck, so be a good player and don't take shots.

Hope some of this helps.