Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-24-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: What to do with a Child who plays SNG\'s?

Does anyone else get the feeling that this thread is saying. Hi I play poker for a living but DONT LET YOUR KID TOUCH IT ITS EVIL. Seriously if you can't accept the fact that a kid enjoys the game AND is good at it find a new line of work or a new hobby. It's sounda lot like we sell drugs to babies. Society doesnt accept what we do. And if you can't share your hobbies or explain your job to your kid you shouldn't accept it either. This thread is far more than a childs wellfare thread. I wouldnt wish playing poker for a living on anyone. It's not easy and it isnt accepted unless your a millionare on TV. But if you play for more the recreation start with the basics and go from there.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:14 PM

That's absurd. Children aren't adults. Some of us may drink, smoke, have sex, etc. Would it be hypocritical for us to tell the OP that his 9 year old shouldn't be doing any of those things?
Old 11-24-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously if you can't accept the fact that a kid enjoys the game AND is good at it find a new line of work or a new hobby. ... Society doesnt accept what we do. And if you can't share your hobbies or explain your job to your kid you shouldn't accept it either.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I was a bartender, I still wouldn't want my underage child serving liquor in a bar. Even if he could mix a good drink at home. Yet, I wouldn't mind telling my kid about work or explaining to him what I do. (I might not tell him everything that goes on in a bar, but that's no different from any other walk of life.)

If I were an attorney, I would not want my 14 year-old kid going to law school. I would, however, encourage activities that might lay a good foundation for a career in law: debate, logic, public speaking, research, writing, student government, etc. Again, I would be happy to explain to my child what I do for a living and might share some work experiences. But, I wouldn't share everything even if confidentiality wasn't a factor.

Seriously: if OP can't interest his son in other games which involve math and probability, but don't involve the exchange of cash, there is a problem. (This is not to say I would not let my son play any poker, but I'd probably do it with the family and friends at the kitchen table with pennies (or chips) or in a freeroll section online.)
Old 11-24-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Update

Junior played two SNG's this morning. He came in third place in a three table $6, and first place in a $5 two table headsup event. He's now outside riding his bicycle and playing baseball. I sat next to him and didn't help him at all. I just gave him some advice about how he busted out. I think he can probably help my game.

Bruce
Old 11-24-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My 7 year-old likes wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like the worst idea ever. Everyone I know who has started drinking young is drinking way too much right now. I'd elaborate but you probably don't want to hear it, so whatever floats your boat.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Update

Seriously, think forward about 3 years. He's 12, beating the $11s for about $1500 a month... How much time would spend working on homework if you could've made $20/hr playing poker when you were 12?
Old 11-24-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Update

I too have a 9 year old son who loves to play poker. But I will only allow him to play with play money on sites like Yahoo games or the Hoyle software I bought for him. My son is too aggressive and always wants to try and push the other player off his hand.

I don't think my son is anywhere near ready for a real money game. Besides he is kept pretty busy with soccer, baseball, basketball, piano, guitar, cub scouts and school work.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:17 PM

"Everyone I know who has started drinking young is drinking way too much right now"

Rubbish.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone I know who has started drinking young is drinking way too much right now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Two things:

1) Your sample size is too small to draw any conclusions; and

2) I wasn't serious, and figured everyone would understand that.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:49 AM

Dont put 1/2 toward college. He will probably drop out of HS to play full time poker!