Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 09-24-2005, 11:13 AM

Default No offense taken.

No problem, Kenny. I admit that I do not play real well, and certainly not at an advanced level. I only play part-time for enjoyment only.

TSP
Old 09-24-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: What separates a good player from an advanced player?

[ QUOTE ]
MY stats are VERY similar 16/10/1.9 with river being a 1.2 (I miss a lot of value bets)

Honestly I just can't find more hands to play. I play Axs and small pp's from EP when the table is right. I'll open-raise with KQo from UTG, or after limpers. I don't cold call and 3bet with small pocket pairs as much as some people seem to do on here. I have GREAT game selection so I don't really get the opportunity to steal. My att to steal is 44% !!! From the HiJack I am raising all kinds of stuff. I'll isolate maniacs and 80/5/.5 guys with almost any JT or better if everyone else is tight. Have I just been cold decked for 100K hands?

Post flop - I miss value bets and I know this. I also miss turn bets and raises, because if someone semi-bluffs the flop then I am checking and calling A LOT. So I know I am missing some value.

I was a lil looser at 2/4 and was beating it for 2.75BB/100, but at 5/10 and 10/20 I am just scraping by. Everytime I sit in the 15 game I get run over.

Please help.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, my stats are 18/12/2.79 (or 2.81, i can't remember). my river agression is 2.5 or so. value betting is huge.

i think 15 or 13 is definately too tight. it makes a difference. and those seeking to be 19/17/2...its just not worth it, that means you are likely missing out on very profitable limping opportunities.

Barron
Old 09-24-2005, 11:31 AM

When you're talking fullring stats, are these filtered for 7-10 players, average player 7? 8? I'm confused.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you're talking fullring stats, are these filtered for 7-10 players, average player 7? 8? I'm confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

those are my full ring stats. on average its about 8 or nine players. where do i get avg player stats? those stats are from my 120k hand 30/60 ring games. I dont play much short handed there b/c 1) not too many games (although i now play SH there when possible), and 2) game quality, and 3) # of tables i can play (i can play more full than SH)

Barron
Old 09-24-2005, 12:03 PM

Thanks, I was a bit confused since I play mostly shorthanded but don't mind playing fullring if there are good tables going on.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:33 PM

Thanks so much for all your replies!!! After reading all your posts....I think DcifrThs hit the nail on the head. Many good players do not value bet marginal hands enough where an advanced player knows when his marginal or even weak hand is best. I think this is a player reading skill...which can be hard when multitabling. I have a tendency to rely on stats...but stats only tell us a portion of what we need to know. So, one missed value bet every 100 hands...well, that's it!!!
Old 09-24-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks so much for all your replies!!! After reading all your posts....I think DcifrThs hit the nail on the head. Many good players do not value bet marginal hands enough where an advanced player knows when his marginal or even weak hand is best. I think this is a player reading skill...which can be hard when multitabling. I have a tendency to rely on stats...but stats only tell us a portion of what we need to know. So, one missed value bet every 100 hands...well, that's it!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. In the progression of a poker player thin valuebetting is just an extension of agressive style. Advanced players transcend this and learn how to save bets. It is so much harder and riskier to fold for 1 bet on the river than putting in an extra one (to give one example).

It occurs to me that some of the best players posting in this forum are probably those with the highest percentage of fold advice (James282 and Paluka comes to mind).
Old 09-24-2005, 02:50 PM

I think the biggest factor differentiating great players from good players is how lucky they've been lately.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:56 PM

interesting
Old 09-24-2005, 03:02 PM

arod, trying to get your post count up? You know you can read and not reply. One word replies with no analysis provide nothing to the discussion. I'm not an internet person, but I think they call this "trolling".

(yes I realise the irony of this post)