Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 07:03 PM

Default full table of calling stations

Ok … I believe im a decent player. but I’ve been getting beat at the low limit tables. I sit down and immediately notice I am one of the only tight aggressive players at the 10 handed table . All of the others (including one or two extremely LOOSE aggressive player) are calling stations. Most people will bet to the end and raise with small or middle pair and all others will call until the end, usually catching there draw or second pair. Im not sure how I should play against these people. With so many people in the pot my AK usually turns into a losing hand. Even if an ace flops and I raise and re-raise to get people out.

First of all I know there is no bluffing them! They will call.

Second if I tighten up to much I will get blinded out (also taking into consideration when I play and bet my AK and so on … and nothing hits)

Third if I bet my top pair top kicker and 4 or 5 other people are in then my hand loses value and I usually lose chips on the river when they catch a second pair or there draw.

Fourth….. The only time I win is with a monster. Usually I have lost more chips than I win at that point.

should i just look for a tighter game? one in which i could actually try to out play instead of one that requires lucky hands against unlucky players?

If anybody would like to share there winning strategy or tips for low limit calling station tables I would appreciate it.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:17 PM

Default Re: full table of calling stations

There is no specific advice I can give you that can help you with your current plight, other than to keep playing in these loose games since these are some of the most profitable games to play in and always play your best and never go on tilt.

I will give you some references though to help guide you in these loose games.

1) "Holdem Poker for advance players", by David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth, pages 152-181.
2) "Getting the Best of it" by David Sklansky, pages 75-86
3) "Small Stakes Holdem" by Ed Miller,David Sklansky,and Mason Malmuth, all pages.

Good luck in the future.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:28 PM

ty for reminding me. i forgot about small stakes holdem by S & M .... i will read it.

for people that are interested continue to reply. i know i am.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:32 PM

Keep playing tight. I hope you mean tight by not playing 73o and not by "I don't raise pf". Don't be afraid to raise, 3bet and cap hands you should be pf, weather there are or arnt 5 players calling.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:57 PM

yes I am playing tight aggressive not tight passive in these loose games.

I noticed that I started to loosen up a little bit when the guy to my right was raising with crap. for example.... he raised and I called with ace 9 suited (only one other person in before him and im SB.) was that a bad call? should I have done the same in late pos or even raised? is that stooping down to there level?

sorry if this is to broad of a subject to be posting
Old 12-18-2005, 12:19 AM

Preflop, tighten up with hands that have big reverse implied odds, but loose up with hands that have big implied odds (suited cards, especially suited connectors, and pocket pairs). In late position, limp in with things like K5s if there are many callers (but tend to fold this hand if you flop top pair without any cards of your suit--someone will outdraw you or may already have you beat).

Are the few aggressive players aggresive preflop, or only postflop? If you're pretty sure you won't be raised, you can start limping in with more suited cards from middle position.

You want to win by having a monster hand yourself, and folding early when it doesn't look like you'll get one. At this kind of table you will go a long time between winning pots, but you can pull down some very big pots when you do hit.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:03 AM

Value bet relentlessly.

Know when you can bet/raise for value even though you probably dont have the best hand at the moment (eg. JTs preflop on the button, check raising flush draws on the flop when 3+ people have already put chips in).