Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Sklansky mistake? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dynasty
Old 10-21-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Sklansky mistake?

Mr. Sklansky should have used "The System".
Old 10-21-2005, 02:27 PM

I think David was still unsure of how Seed intended to play it. Maybe he wasn't totally aware of Seed's situation yet.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:44 PM

This is a very good question. When I watched that episode, I kept thinking his biggeset mistake was chewing gum with his mouth open the entire time.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:46 PM

It's easy to say all of that in hindsight and when you can see Seed's hole cards. I don't think DS believed at first that Seed was going to continue to just push in with every single rag hand against him, given that was probably not the correct strategy once Seed had acquired a decent amount of chips. I think he eventually figured out that Seed was doing just that, and adjusted.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:55 PM

Yet all the other players knew going in...
Old 10-21-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Sklansky mistake? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dynasty
Old 10-21-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As Sklansky was putting in his raise, Michael Konik actually said "There's no mystery here; Huck Seed has said 'David Sklansky, any time you put chips in the pot, there's a risk that I will do to you what I did to Sexton'" after Huck said more or less the same think to David. I don't think the strategy was a subtle one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you know the difference between "a risk" and "a sure thing", and you probably also know better than to trust everything your opponent says about his play as well.

Judging by how many times Sklansky said "I didn't think about that" and how much he talked at Chan about Seed's predicament AFTER Seed was eliminated, I'd say there's a decent chance he was the last one to realize what Seed's situation was.

There's also a good chance he knew Seed's situation and wasn't sure exactly how Seed was going to handle it, so was feeling Seed out a little bit. If he's going to end up all-in versus Seed inevitably anyway, he has a bit of time to feel out what the best way to get his money in as a favorite is before Seed has him significantly covered.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:57 PM

Typical MK oversimplification. A better question is, is it correct for Seed, considering all of the current status of everyone's chip counts and the size of the blinds and the fact he has to eliminate DS before Chan, to move in with any hand, 100% of the time DS raises? If not 100%, what % should he do it with? And based on that answer, how should DS handle 55 on the button?
Old 10-21-2005, 04:21 PM

Seeing as in the past Sklansky has played very tight in these tournaments to increase his air time, I don't think he should be playing 5's. I'd say 99 or better and AJ or better.

Otherwise, Chan should just be abusing Huck Seed. If Chan puts Seed's stack at risk every time, he will be forced to fold almost every time because he needs to bust Sklansky first.