Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: 5% of Black Males in America are currently in Prison

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the arguement that this percentage is disproportionate is empty.

[/ QUOTE ]

with all the talk of bush not caring about black people, why are blacks still improvished in this land to the point where 5% of their male population is kept behind bars like animals. doesnt seem to fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll also say that it's not really fair to the victims for the murderers and rapists to even be kept alive

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus dude, im not saying that they shouldnt go to jail for committing crimes... im talking about before the crimes are commited... the victims of crimes can hold the gov responsible to a certain extent imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. simply, wow.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im talking about before the crimes are commited... the victims of crimes can hold the gov responsible to a certain extent imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

My BS detector just started screeching. How is the government responsible for some crackhead who holds up a convenience store? How is the government responsible for gang violence?

Society is responsible for crimes, because the government "allows" people to be poor? Makes sense to me. Why doesn't the government just print up about 1000 hundred dollar bills for everyone and give them out. Then everyone will be rich. No problem.

I'd bet that for every black male you cite as being in prison, there is a black male who has or is getting a good education with some form of government assistance. I'd also bet that most of those convicts committed crimes to get drugs or buy stuff (cars, TVs, expensive clothes, etc.) that had little to do with true poverty or providing for their families.

Life is not "fair" in the sense of equal results for all. But our society is fair in providing opportunities for those who choose not to commit crimes.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jesus dude, im not saying that they shouldnt go to jail for committing crimes... im talking about before the crimes are commited... the victims of crimes can hold the gov responsible to a certain extent imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Personal responsibility. Other races and minorities have done it.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:00 PM

there is a correlation between poverty/crime poverty/uneducation, uneducation/crime...

when the gov. chooses not to improve a situation, that situation continues to manifest itself.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But our society is fair in providing opportunities for those who choose not to commit crimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly a white kid in idaho has the same opportunities as a black kid in compton.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But our society is fair in providing opportunities for those who choose not to commit crimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly a white kid in idaho has the same opportunities as a black kid in compton.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't pretend to know either way. There may be social programs or educational resources in Compton that unavailable in rural Idaho.

My point is that someone in Compton has access to educational and vocation resources and has access to drugs and crime. There is a choice there, and a lot of the alternatives to drugs and crime are provided by the government. But it remains an individual choice.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't help but be reminded of the old lawyers in quicksand joke ....... not a bad start ........ of course I am talking about criminals in prison

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's of course what you were talking about...AND here I thought you meant that getting 5% of the black male population in prison was 'not a bad start'.

How silly of me. No, of course, you meant criminals.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: 5% of Black Males in America are currently in Prison.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] it's not their fault;; aa men get blamed for everything...

gl

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 05:46 PM

Still ..... do you think the 5% is correct ...... it seems awful low [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] if you know what I mean.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:04 PM

"Life is not "fair" in the sense of equal results for all. But our society is fair in providing opportunities for those who choose not to commit crimes. "

If it fair in that sense, then the racists are right. Not being a racist, I believe it is clearly not fair.