Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 04:26 AM

Default J4o

15/30 at the HG. I sit down and post in the CO. It's folded to me, and I see the gorgeous J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check my option.

Button folds, SB completes, and BB checks. Flop comes down 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB checks, BB bets.

Should I bother with this pot?

Read: obviously since I just sat down everyone is unknown; but the BB is a young Asian kid in a white hoodie with his chips stacked neatly and his hat tilted to the side. Stereotype says he also plays NL.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:41 AM

Default Re: J4o

What would be the minimum hand you raise with pf in your situation? I raise pretty much 100% of the time when folded to me in the CO as a poster.

You have position though so I'd raise the flop. You'll get a free card very often.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What would be the minimum hand you raise with pf in your situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always wondered about it, then realized there are more pressing concerns when Rick Nebiolo told me: "how many times per session do you post in the cutoff?" (relative to how many times you are in other situations that are worth thinking about in more detail).

I think I'm probably raising 76s+, 87o+, any pair, J8o+, maybe T7o but it would depend on who the blinds were. J4o is just way too trashy for me to bother putting more money into this pot in an attempt to blind-steal. Also, I don't know the button, and getting cold-called by him sucks maple bars.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:48 AM

If this hand gets folded to me I'll not have looked at my cards yet but I'm throwing in four more chips.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:49 AM

I thought this spot was an auto-raise preflop with any two cards because of the discount.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm throwing in three more chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm throwing in three more chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nit.

To elaborate, I'll throw in four chips even though I know it's a three-chip game so the blinds think I'm overly excited with my hand and just fold. It's called giving off a tell. Learn it you noob.

Thanks for thinking outside the [censored] box!
Old 12-20-2005, 05:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this spot was an auto-raise preflop with any two cards because of the discount.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I raise any two. I also don't actually like doing it and deep down am hoping someone in front of me will enter the pot so I can check, call, or fold instead.

I wonder sometimes, if our opponents knew we were raising any two, would it still be a good play?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:42 AM

I would at least call.

I'm having trouble sorting this one out in my mind, since I think there's some chance you're ahead of BB here (or that he just has a draw also, even if you're not ahead), and that makes me want to consider raising and taking an aggressive line. At the same time, though, the pot is small, and I don't know that it's worth putting up a big fight, with a one-card straight draw (which may be what BB also has) and one crappy overcard.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:16 AM

I'm not folding this flop.
Outs:
oesd: 6.5
overcard: 2
bdfd: 0.5

With these outs we have the odds to call the flop. Plus we can count on having implied odds. The question now comes to if we should call or raise, and if we raise should we follow through on the turn?

I think I raise the flop and check the turn for a freecard (if offered). There's about not value in betting the turn for a free sd so I like to take the freecard, and only a weak/tight read can change that. If we bet the turn I think we're commited to fire again on the river to fold A/Q-high hands.