Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Adderall

not sure if this is the right forum, but has anyone tried using this to stay focused or become more focused on a game?
it seems like adderall or any other stimulant could enhance your performance (obviously there are negatives; dependence, etc).
who has used stimulants or downers (alcohol), if so, what kind? caffeine, etc.
i'm asking because in college, a lot of students use it to study and concentrate better.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Adderall

I have used it off and on for 4 years without a precription. It WILL do wonders for your concentration and make even the most mundane tasks fun/interesting.

However, there are bad things as well. Adderall is precription-quality speed. If you have an addictive personality or feel that you may have a substance abuse problem with anything else (weed, beer, etc.) I would recommend never touching it.

If you decide to take it, stay away from alcoholic beverages until you're at home or something like that. It makes you drink like a fish. I'm a girl, 5'3, 115 lbs. and I've drank well over 12 beers in a night on adderall (and my limit w/o it is about 5 or 6 beers).

Just be wary. It can be helpful when you simply cannot focus on whatever you have to do- stupid school paper, boring textbook reading. For poker, you're just going to sit there sweating like a pig and not being able to shut up about anything.

Also, it can be very damaging to people with any sort of heart problem. Just remember: it's semi-legal speed. Be careful.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:19 PM

Wanna go out drinking some time?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:13 PM

why the hell did my caption change....

and sure.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:02 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...817&page=4
Old 11-10-2005, 06:45 PM

Adderall will do wonders for your game, especially if you naturally have trouble concentrating. It's actually quite safe provided you use it intelligently (i.e. take a normal prescription dose, don't snort it, don't do it all the time, don't combine it with other stimulants). If you take it every day, you will become physically (and almost certainly psychologically) addicted to it. Ephedrine is like adderall but legal, just not as fun or effective.

Edit: Adderall used to be a diet pill, so if you're naturally thin like I am, try to eat some high-calorie foods. Also, you may take it and then get totally wrapped up in something else and forget about the poker you should be playing.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:19 PM

I have a prescription for adderall and not suprisingly it is when the drug is in full effect that I make the most money. You are definitley in a zone under it's effects which is why I try to plan my sessions around it's peak rather than late at night.

I also believe Matusow uses Ritalin (a methyphenidate not an amphetamine) to help his play / keep his mind off cocaine.

If you have any more questions just ask and I will do my best to answer.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:32 AM

does it help with tilt, or i wonder if weed does that... im not a druggy, can anyone let me know, thx
Old 11-11-2005, 01:59 AM

Is this sort of like getting stoned and then writing poetry, only to sober up later and read that what you wrote sucked?

I'm thinking it might be different, but its hard to be sure when the only positive responses are "I tried it and it works." I need to hear "My winrate over x hours or x hands is higher", otherwise its hard to be sure.

I'm not saying that it doesn't make sense that adderol would have this affect. I took adderol a couple times. The first time I started reading much faster, and literally memorizing the text in real time. So I would read a paragraph, and be able to read it back to myself mentally while reading the second paragraph too. It was weird.

The second time I took it I wrote this paper about Mao Zedong. I got an A on it, but the teacher was a soft grader.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
does it help with tilt, or i wonder if weed does that... im not a druggy, can anyone let me know, thx

[/ QUOTE ]

It does actually, whenever I play on Adderral or ritalin I actually complement people and say NH when they suck out huge. This is something that is extremely rare for me. I'm usually one of those angry dickheads that constantly berate people for suckouts, just because I haven't matured and learned to control my anger yet. This drug is amazing, it often sucks sometimes though when u take it in late afternoon because then you won't be able to sleep at all.