Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 06:04 PM

Default being a dick??

I want to work on live shorthanded more.

enough i will pay rake to do it.

so from now on, i plan on not chopping live at all.

is it worth it in terms of the table image of the rest of the table hating me for slowing down the game? being a likely outcast not chopper? etc.?

-Barron
Old 05-15-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: being a dick??

i've seen a couple different players play the 'dick' table image to perfection and have it pay off for them in spades.

i think it depends on your personality whether or not you can make it work for you. if you can keep yourself from getting emotional - and don't care what others at the table think of you...then it is a viable strategy.

takes a rare bird i would think though.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:28 PM

Don't chop. I always chop in a rake game but I make a mistake by doing so. Regardless of what your reason just don't chop. Politely inform both sides of you and from my experience you will not be treated adversely.

vince
Old 05-16-2005, 12:48 AM

As long as you tell the players on each side of you when you sit that you don;t chop, they likely will not hassle you too much, although not chopping DOES have a bit of a ripple effect. Not chopping only pisses off the types of player syou definitely DON'T want to chop against, and, of cours,e is well within your rights.

That said, I personally usually chop, cuz live poker to me is more social, but I always try to set up a $1 sidebet on best hand hot/cold. Actually a +EV bet for me because on 3 occasions I have said I had best hand with something like (Td vs 33 and won $10, $20, and $100 sidebetting in each case [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2005, 01:02 AM

put the 2d next to that Td and I'll take the 3,3

vince
Old 05-16-2005, 01:35 AM

Just say you never chop. You may want to tell the players adjacent to you when you first sit down. But there's nothing wrong with this.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:32 AM

OOPs, was supposed to be T9d
Old 05-19-2005, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just say you never chop. You may want to tell the players adjacent to you when you first sit down. But there's nothing wrong with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

If being a dick is your objective, even better: selectively chop. When it is folded to you in the small blind, look at your cards and then say, raise. When you are in the big blind and the SB offers to chop, look at your cards and ask for a chop
Old 05-19-2005, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If being a dick is your objective, even better: selectively chop. When it is folded to you in the small blind, look at your cards and then say, raise. When you are in the big blind and the SB offers to chop, look at your cards and ask for a chop

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you realize this could never work unless players constantly changed, as from the BB, you would be asked for a chop b4 looking at your cards, and once you looked yourself, he would not chop,(or would raise instead when you looked and did say you would), and from the SB, obviously, if you raise, you are known as not chopping.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:25 PM

Depending on the rake policy it can be awfully stupid not to chop.

How does not chopping improve heads up play? There is a regular player at Canterbury who told me that. I don't know if playing headsup in the blinds really makes much of a difference if the person you are up against is a terrible headsup player. How much are you going to learn?

People who won't chop with me are going to be playing for a raise on every street almost all the time. They usually change their minds about not chopping.