Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Favorite atheletes

[ QUOTE ]
it doesn't change anything that hank aaron was probably constantly hopped up on amphetamines (which is now banned)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or that Ruth played in a park built for him to hit home runs in?

There are a ton of players who have cheated in the exact same way as Bonds has allegedly done, and not a single one of them has gotten anywhere close to Ruth's HR total.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Or that Ruth played in a park built for him to hit home runs in?

[/ QUOTE ]

since when is building a ballpark around your player against the rules?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it doesn't change anything that hank aaron was probably constantly hopped up on amphetamines (which is now banned)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how I feel about this because I don't know much about Hank Aaron.

If it was not banned at the time, then how can look down upon it?

There's a big difference between I'm using a performance enhancing drug, and i know it's illegal, vs i'm using and it's not. I know that might sound hippocritical to some/most, but it's a big difference.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it was not banned at the time, then how can look down upon it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Steroids/supplements were not banned in baseball until a year ago. Amphetamines are and have been a controlled substance just like steroids, legally available through prescription only. There is no difference between the two issues except for the fact that one is being cried out about every five minutes and one isn't.

*edit: So, are you, like the other people you describe earlier in this thread, a Bonds-hater because he is "about to break one of the most sacred records in sports" at the same time as not knowing much about Hank Aaron?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:43 PM

oh well, i tried.

defend bonds to the grave if you will.

you win.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:07 PM

I never named it in this thread because I got caught up in the Bonds argument. Now that P.Dirty has taken his ball and gone home, I'll talk about my favorite athlete. It's probably Rocky Marciano, for a combination of things:
We share the same home state.

Despite not being the most talented, graceful boxer, he turned himself into a champion through determination.

He was always tactful, but confident in his manner of speaking. Said contender Rocky to a roomful of kids, speaking of the man who was at that time champ: "If I said I could beat him, you'd think I was bragging. If I said I couldn't I'd be lying."

Rocky after being told his challenger said Rocky didn't stand a chance: "That's fine, I understand he is a very confident man, and that the other challengers have been also."

Rocky was also personally responsible for his own money and life, learning the lessons of countless boxers before him who died broke. He negotiated top fees for his fights and saved/invested his money well.

He was also the most determined fighter to ever enter the ring. He was willing to take two shots to land one, and tough enough to make that one worth it. He kept himself in top physical conditioning at all times, even between fights. He was usually better trained than his opponents, allowing for more endurance.

Despite the denigration his style usually receives, Rocky was a good boxer with a bob-and-weave style that made him hard to track. After filming a simulated fight for a movie that was being made, Ali said of Marciano: "He's a lot harder to hit with a jab than I always thought."
Old 12-12-2005, 05:12 PM

Comparing amphetamines & illegal steriods is ridiculous. There is a big difference between being against the ulres of baseball & being illegal as hell. Steroids weren't explicitly banned in baseball, but because they are illegal to own & use, using them before they were banned is obviously big big cheats. Besides, it's pretty obviously that barry is an ass in general, not just to the media. i seem to recall him commenting on wanting to break Ruth's record because he was white, and there are countless other examples.

For my favorite athlete, I'm going to break the rules of this thread & pick someone who was very recently on "my team"; Sean Casey. There is no athlete who better exemplifies the class that Bonds lacks than Casey.

jvs
Old 12-12-2005, 05:18 PM

Amphetamines became illegal to own without a prescription in 1965.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now that P.Dirty has taken his ball and gone home, I'll talk about my favorite athlete.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. [censored] you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

a convo between Voltron and I about the Bonds argument

P. Dirty: i just got owned in the sports forum btw
Voltron: in the favorite athlete thread?
Voltron: im halfway thru the thread, but how can someone arguing against bonds get owned
Voltron: you got a bit owned but bonds is still a [censored]

Old 12-12-2005, 05:27 PM

haha pdirty left out the 15 prominent 2p2 members i called morons and idiots