Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 11:11 PM

Default bottom two, scary turn card

Stars Cheapie

Villian isnt crazy, but he plays too many hands.

I have a solid image. I called to the river with the idiot end of a straight early, and played solid hands from there. I've shown down QQ, AK, AK, a couple other solid hands. Taken down a few pots with cont bets and the like.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO (t2135)
Button (t3235)
SB (t5855)
Hero (t7430)
UTG (t9275)
UTG+1 (t3391)
MP1 (t335)
MP2 (t8295)
MP3 (t3235)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t300) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, CO calls t150, SB folds.

Turn: (t600) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>

This seems to standard, but while I was playing it, I felt like I was butchering it. 1/2 pot to charge the flush draw just felt wrong. I have a vulnerable bottom two that's drawing to 4 outs vs a lot of hands here. Is this bet correct?

Turn comes, and its one of the cards I really didnt want to see. If I check here, any half decent opponent bets, so I've gotta bet unless I plan to shut down, no?

So, start those engines and douse me. If villain calls my bet, he has like ~1400 behind. Plan? What would you have done differently?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: bottom two, scary turn card

[ QUOTE ]
Stars Cheapie

Villian isnt crazy, but he plays too many hands.

I have a solid image. I called to the river with the idiot end of a straight early, and played solid hands from there. I've shown down QQ, AK, AK, a couple other solid hands. Taken down a few pots with cont bets and the like.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO (t2135)
Button (t3235)
SB (t5855)
Hero (t7430)
UTG (t9275)
UTG+1 (t3391)
MP1 (t335)
MP2 (t8295)
MP3 (t3235)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t300) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, CO calls t150, SB folds.

Turn: (t600) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>

This seems to standard, but while I was playing it, I felt like I was butchering it. 1/2 pot to charge the flush draw just felt wrong. I have a vulnerable bottom two that's drawing to 4 outs vs a lot of hands here. Is this bet correct?

Turn comes, and its one of the cards I really didnt want to see. If I check here, any half decent opponent bets, so I've gotta bet unless I plan to shut down, no?

So, start those engines and douse me. If villain calls my bet, he has like ~1400 behind. Plan? What would you have done differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the flop and turn play. No, you can't check the turn and the T400 bet seems to be about right.

If villain calls the turn and a blank hits the river I value bet T600. If a scare card comes on the river I check call everything except a push.

Greg H.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:52 AM

I like your line so far but I would probably check-fold the river if called on the turn. What hands do you expect to call that you are ahead of?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like your line so far but I would probably check-fold the river if called on the turn. What hands do you expect to call that you are ahead of?

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain calls our turn bet the pot is T1400 going to the river. Villain has T1485 behind and has put 30% of his stack into this pot. Hero has T6780 going to the river.

If villain does call our turn bet he could have a hand like KQo, KJo or ATo...all hands that give him a probable winner on the turn...and he is likely to call and not raise our turn bet in this spot. I say this because he is not worried about getting drawed out on and he hopes we continue to fire on the river.

All this being said, I see your point and a river check may be in order so we can re-evaluate if villain doesn't check through.

Greg H.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:27 PM

Turn: (t600) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero bets 400</font>, Villain raises to 1885

He jams. Pot's 2885, and its 1485 back to me.

Do people really jam their Ks here? What hands that I'm ahead of do people jam here? If he is jamming a K, or a better two pair, I've got 4 outs (or less, hell, he could easily have a J or a Q) to improve. And I'm only getting ~2:1.

Do I fold this, or is he full of it enough that I'm justified in calling? I think this is an obvious fold, with such a horrible board.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (t600) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero bets 400</font>, Villain raises to 1885

[/ QUOTE ]

Never saw that one coming!
Old 11-29-2005, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do people really jam their Ks here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Furthermore psychos also jam AT and sets if they sense weakness (which you portrayed again by probe betting). You beat very, very few hands.

[ QUOTE ]
Do I fold this, or is he full of it

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop there. Hes not. It aint worth it. Fold.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:35 PM

I think shutting down after his push is easy. How else do you play the hand, up to his push, though? Do you check the turn? Bet 600? Over bet? It looks like checking allows him to push me off the hand if he doesnt have a K, but hell, this isnt really a hand I mind being pushed off of, is it?

I'm not sure what line is proper, in this case. Do I simply shut down on the turn, and check/fold? That seems too weak/tight. I don't really dislike my bet, if I'm willing to fold to the coming push...

This is why I struggle.

Btw, where'd the old avatar go? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]